Can I extend the life of my i5 4690k system?

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I don't need to know exact numbers or anything. It's just reassuring that at least you didn't have to suffer any loss of performance going from a video card similar to mine to an integrated GPU, because I have been thinking of doing the same thing. My computer is beneath the requirements for Capture One, it's the video card that keeps the computer usable. GPU is very important, and your experience pretty much confirms that 5300/5600/5700G and its integrated GPU will be more than good enough for my needs, and it might be good enough for a lot of people's needs, at least until the video card prices are no longer so ridiculous. Your post will help me to take the leap. It's been 12 years so it is probably time.

Yeah, I don't need to know exact numbers or anything. It's just reassuring that at least you didn't have to suffer any loss of performance going from a video card similar to mine to an integrated GPU, because I have been thinking of doing the same thing. My computer is beneath the requirements for Capture One, it's the video card that keeps the computer usable. GPU is very important, and your experience pretty much confirms that 5300/5600/5700G and its integrated GPU will be more than good enough for my needs, and it might be good enough for a lot of people's needs, at least until the video card prices are no longer so ridiculous. Your post will help me to take the leap. It's been 12 years so it is probably time.
I think you'd be pretty happy. I don't think they offered the 5300G for retail sale (at least yet), and if you aim to go 10-12 years again I would think that you'd want more than 4 core / 8 thread. Seeing the jump I got, I probably could have gone with the 5600G. But I'm good with having the two extra cores for whatever photo app is killing my PC in 6+ years lol.

Making it 12 years is seriously impressive on the same hardware. I've been pretty steady on 6 year refreshes.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
There is a component, that's why I said CPU is basically idle. For Topaz only (all I know) the yellow section is the CPU usage from clicking apply until it switches apps to pull back into Lightroom (blue) and renders it's preview in LR. During the Topaz compute CPU is less than 10%. It was less than 20% on the old CPU during this portion, so not indicating a bottleneck to me. So I have a hard time believing that CPU is a major/bulk of contribution to the time when using GPU to do the compute. Maybe it contributes to a couple of seconds of the reduction. Yes, I could be thorough and put the old graphics card in, but it's not worth the hassle.
View attachment 906884
Yeah, I think my point was more that you went to a much more modern architecture, one that has considerably more power than the old system. No doubt most of the work is being handled by the GPU, but you probably saw all sorts of other small gains by using the newer system. I’d be curious to see how such an old GPU compares with a modern IGP—if only to tell us how far we’ve come. The crazy part is, they might be equal, while the 5700G consumes less power than the old GPU alone!

Yeah, I think my point was more that you went to a much more modern architecture, one that has considerably more power than the old system. No doubt most of the work is being handled by the GPU, but you probably saw all sorts of other small gains by using the newer system. I’d be curious to see how such an old GPU compares with a modern IGP—if only to tell us how far we’ve come. The crazy part is, they might be equal, while the 5700G consumes less power than the old GPU alone!
I gotcha. If I get really bored or can't help myself curious one day I might do it. But I really don't want to have to uninstall the current version of AMD Radeon software that doesn't have the drivers for the old card, install the monster GPU that seems to have about 3-4 mm clearance in my box, install the old AMD catalyst control center, run the test, and reverse order back to normal.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think you'd be pretty happy. I don't think they offered the 5300G for retail sale (at least yet), and if you aim to go 10-12 years again I would think that you'd want more than 4 core / 8 thread. Seeing the jump I got, I probably could have gone with the 5600G. But I'm good with having the two extra cores for whatever photo app is killing my PC in 6+ years lol.

Making it 12 years is seriously impressive on the same hardware. I've been pretty steady on 6 year refreshes.

I built a computer for my dad with i7 3770k way back in the day, so I do want more than 4 cores and 8 threads, so 5600G is most likely.

Computer isn't exactly 12 years old because I did upgrade the video card around 2013. It was originally Radeon 4670. Whether 12 years or 8 years, it's not impressive either way. It took me 15 years to buy a new camera too. I'm just set in my ways, resistant to change, lol. Don't be like me.

Maybe the real credit goes to the manufacturers of the hardware I selected, especially the WD Black HDD, the Corsair PSU (rebranded Seasonic). I've been waiting for one of them to die and then I will build something new, but I keep waiting. I also had the 5-6 years cycle in mind back when I built this PC, but now it would probably be 10 years. Back then, everything was moving so fast, but it's not really like that anymore.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom