Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pjuk, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    I've had the OM-D for around 6 months and just bought my wife the E-PL5 for an up and coming trip. Whilst showing her the ins and outs of both cameras she asked the question:

"Can you see the shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure comp on the review/playback page without the histogram and other rubbish?"

I've been scratching my head over this one as just the basic review shows the file number, date and time and format of the shot. Can you add some other basic info as pressing the info button shrinks the image and shows the histogram?

Am I being stupid here?!

Thanks!

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Don't have my E-M5 handy, but I believe you have some control over that in the custom menu, display controls. I'll try and check mine when i have the chance and get back to you.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I don't think so. You can go through the various display options by pressing the "info" button.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The histogram is more informative than the shutter speed and aperture.

Just sayin'.

But yeah, just cycle through various display options (from 'everything' to 'nothing but the picture') using the info button.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm fairly certain that deep in the menus is the option to choose which information is displayed when you cycle through the info. Don't know if you can eliminate the histogram, but it may be possible.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Only if you want exposure information (and only if it's accurate). If you want to know if you can freeze motion, the histogram doesn't so much help there.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Yes, you can on the EPM2, dont have it with me here. But ill let you know how i did it

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There is a setting which allows you to select what options show on the screen and the viewfinder when you press the "Info" button.

You have 2 choices: change the settings so that the options your wife doesn't want to see don't show up, which means anyone else who uses the camera is going to have to change settings in order to see anything they want while they're using the camera;

or simply cycle through the options by pressing the "Info" button until you get to the option with no histogram, shadows/highlights, level etc overlays and tell your wife not to press the Info button and that if she does that accidentally, all she has to do is cycle back to her preferred option by pressing the "Info" button until it comes around again.

I tend not to turn off shooting options, I just cycle through them as needed, and I rarely press the "Info" button by mistake. The second option of just leaving things and cycling through options is the easiest, and it means that if your wife ever decides to use any of the other options she also knows how to get to them, as can anyone else who uses the camera.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know exactly what you mean. For those without an EPL-5, the issue is that when playing back images, you can cycle around views using the INFO button, but the only one with shutter speed/aperture is one where the photo is a small thumbnail (maybe a 1/4 of the screen) and there are four histograms shown and a bunch of detail such as the white balance setting and such like. Other views show the photo large, but there is no aperture or shutter speed.

I've played around with the menus myself to change this and as far as I can see there is no way to change it. The menu option that's closest is:

gears -> Disp -> [+]/Info settings -> play info

but that only lets you change the screens that are cycled through with the INFO button, not the contents of those screens.

Maybe someone else has found a way, but I don't think it's possible.

10. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    I'm still looking at all the options for this and not found anything that gives the basic info like shutter/aperture/ISO/exp comp + full screen playback image.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is something that doesn't exist!

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You're right. I missed the bit about the question being about image review, I was thinking of the display while shooting. I just checked the options on my E-M5 and it looks like it can't be done while reviewing images.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the answer is no, you can't show the image in playback mode with just the exposure info. I've tried all the options on the gears setting to no avail.

13. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    Ah well...she'll have to learn about everything then :p