Can i charge via usb?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Christopher, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Forgot the charger for my GF2 at my cottage and of course my battery is now dead. Can I charge the battery with the USB?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope. Not that I know of, anyways...

3. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

No and the reason is simple. USB 2.0 is normally 5 volts at realatively low current. I believe, and I did not look this up to verify, that your camera requires 7.2 volts at fairly substantial current.

Best regards,
    Tom

4. Christopher

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Oh ok thanks. I only ask because the cottage is 3 hrs one way to get it. Fail on my part and fail on Panasonic for making shit batteries lol. My D300 battery lasts for like 2k shots lol.

5. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    and cameras! Well, fine in most respects but my GF2 sucks power even when it's off. my guess is that it'll drain a full (genuine) battery in a couple of weeks.

It also randomly decides it doesn't like my non-OEM battery sometimes.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My guess is the drain is from the reliance on EVF an LCD without any non-powered OVF.

I always have two spare batteries. I did when using DSLRs, but this is even moe important with mirrorless cameras which have smaller batteries AND use more power. Great combination, really. ;)

7. Christopher

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Yeah I need to buy another battery for sure. I wonder if taking the battery out when not in use would help make the batteries last longer? Hmm