Can I ask this now?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I've been reading the OM-D/5D2 thread with great interest. I prefer the E-P3 form factor over the OM-D, but that thread has me thinking maybe both is a good answer. I'm really hoping for an E-P5 with the same sensor, obviously.

Now that some of us have been shooting with the OM-D for a while, can we have a discussion on the humming/vibrating issue that popped up initially? What's the deal in real life use? That would annoy the hell out of me, and likely just keep me waiting for the next PEN.

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I wouldn't call it a humming or a vibrating, it's best described as a soft whirring, like a small fan is moving air. (Of course, the camera is sealed, so it can't be a fan, but that's how it sounds) And unless you are taking pictures in a mortuary, you'll never notice it in real life. It's enough to tell if the camera is on, rather than asleep, but not at all distracting as soon as you start paying attention to your subject rather than the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The noise is a non issue in a reality real life. It is an issue for those that are more concerned with such issues rather then using the camera for its intended purpose - taking photos.

In a very quite room I can it and its a soft sound, hardly noticeable. If you take portraits of Ninjas in action then maybe it would be an issue.

4. In normal use, it's a total non-issue. You wouldn't hear it unless it was dead quiet or if you held the camera to your ear. The only time I find the IBIS hum annoying is if I am inside with no real background noise and just want to turn the camera on to review some images on the memory card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I literally have to press the camera to my ear to hear it. But it's there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Can I relate it to the noise/feel of a Nikon VR lens adjusting? More or less than that?

I can't get used to the idea of a camera no longer being a passive device I control. What causes it? The in-body VR? If so, I'd expect the E-P4/5 to do the same thing. I love my PENs, enjoy them more than any cameras I've had in 30+ years. If this is just the "way" now, I'll get used to it I suppose, and that IQ in the OM-D/5D2 thread is VERY impressive!

7. TDP

TDP Guest

That noise is just the OM-D purr.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can hear it in a dead quiet room with no other sounds - it's a soft whirring, not at all annoying. In actual normal shooting conditions (i.e. anywhere outdoors where there's even a bit of sound, like quiet traffic, wind rustling through leaves, people talking at normal volumes) you don't notice it at all. Not even a little bit. About on par with the IS sound on my 24-105 (i.e. quiet), and quieter than the IS on my 100-400 (which is still not objectionable)

• Like Like x 1
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Then you probably won't like any digital camera. Seriously, they all do all kinds of active things. If you shoot jpeg, the file is the way it is because of what some programmer in Japan created.
    It is the IBIS. The "5-axis" IBIS means the sensor is not rigidly mounted, and the mechanism to apply IS is always needed to hold the sensor in place, even if IBIS is turned off.

I doubt that the next generation of Pens will have the same noise, though, unless the cameras are quite a bit bigger than the current pens. The sensors for the 5-axis IBIS are mounted in the "hump", and I don't see where there would be room for them in the current Pen body style.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Active and passive in terms of physical movement/noise, I thought that was obvious when taken in context, sorry.

Anyone HAVE, say a Nikon 18-200VR and an OM-D? Comparable movement?

11. The Panasonic OIS lenses also hum constantly, just not as distinctly as the IBIS unit in the E-M5. The sound probably is similar to a Nikon VR unit, the difference being that the Nikon (and Canon) lenses can "park" their stabilised elements and not need to keep the VR/IS unit powered to hold them in place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I guess my point, though, was that we already accept a lot of automated, outside of our control activity with our digital cameras. Many seem to apply NR even in raw, for example, and you seem to accept the (very minimal) vibration and noise that goes with optical image stabilization. Where do we draw the line?

If the means used to hold the sensor in place doesn't affect the IQ, I guess I'm not terribly concerned with whether it's glue, screws, or electromagnets.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm just trying to get a feel for what it is like. The nearest camera store is well over an hour away. People I respect now have the camera and I'm just asking what it is like now to have lived with the "purr". That's all. Really, don't make this more than it needs to be, I understand what "P" means, even "iAUTO", I just wanted some real world experience (by owners of the camera only) on the feel of the camera in terms of the vibration no one expected until it shipped.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't feel any vibration when using my E-M5. There is a sound, but I can't feel anything.

Edit: Actually, I just tried the camera again, and I can feel something. I never consciously realized it, but it's there. Yes, it reminds me of how Canon IS and Nikon VR feel/sound. I actually like that feeling - I associate it with reassurance that the photo won't handshake blur :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    It's a complete non-issue. I can't believe it ever became one ... I do hear it once in a great while, but unless you are looking for issues or noise or other problems, it isn't noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I can hear the hum when my room is absolutely quiet, but it is a complete non-issue when I put the camera in use... There is no vibration, or if there is, I cannot feel it at all...

• Like Like x 1
  17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    So this is what I've learned... it is a ONLY noise, not a vibration. If I took the camera out of my bag and started shooting in any place but a library, I'd never know it was there. But if someone said, "Hey, did you know that camera hums?" and I put it to my ear, I'd hear it.

Probably LESS annoying than the VR in a Nikon lens because it is consistent. It occurs consistently whenever the camera is on and not asleep, right?

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I revised my comment above - there is a subtle vibration.

19. The IBIS shuts down as soon as the camera goes into sleep mode, but anytime that the camera is on the IBIS unit becomes powered, even if you are just looking through the menus or reviewing images.

20. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    The nearest equivalent noise I can relate it to is the sound of the hard drive on my Macbook.

The Sensor on the OMD is not rigidly mounted, it is actually suspended, leviated in a magnetic field. I suspect the field oscillates, inducing some noise in the magnets doing the levitating.

You can actually turn the noise off by turning the mode dial to video, which seems to engage a different levitation protocol that is nearly dead silent.

When you turn the camera off, or when it goes to sleep, it makes a quite loud ker-clunk as the IBIS shuts down and parks the sensor.

I can hear my IBIS 'whirring' even outside with ambient noise, but then my hearing is pretty good. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.