Can get slow motion with GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I have seen footage with some shots in slow motion, but I cant get info about the amout of recording fps? The GH4 record to 96fps and both using same sensor, but with different implementations.

Thanks!

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Nope, no facility for faster than standard HD frame rates on the GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    But if can record to 60p and I use the shutter speed 1/125 or 1/250 can obtain a decent slow motion?

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes, a higher frame rate will look smoother when slowed in post, and a faster shutter speed will reduce motion blur. You can get decent slow motion from the GX7, but its all relative. You will get better slow motion than a camera with a fixed 30fps, but not as good as the 96fps on the GH4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Rowen Grant did a beautifully artistic job with some slo-mo and his GX7, 14-42 kit lens, & 20/1.7:

http://vimeo.com/96076932

• Like Like x 1
  6. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Wow, he really did, love to have been proven wrong by all you guys!

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You must shoot mainly stills :smile:

You will be happy to know that aside from an external mic input, your GX7 had almost as many video features as the GH3.

8. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    True. ;) I guess I was thinking upper-case slow motion (hundreds of fps), but the 25fps work shown in that video is probably useful in many more scenarios. I'm going to have to go to my waterfall footage and try that.

9. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks for the answers and info boys,

I split my head in purchasing the GX7 or GH4, I like more the GX7 for portability and ever take in your pocket, the video quality is brutal, but the GH4 is undoubtedly more complete and 4K but less portable. The 96fps its great.

I had seen the footage of Rowen Grant ans its incredible.

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    No doubt the GH4 is an awesome beast of a machine, but for ease of having around and for casual general use, I think the GX7 is the top pick right now. It is especially great to handle and hold in the hand... the grip is perfect for me, not too big, not too small, just right. And though I don't shoot much video, it is capable of producing some wonderful motion pictures! I think you'll like the GX7. If I could wish for something more with it... I'd like the viewfinder to be larger. I also shoot with my E-P5 and VF-4, which I love, but the camera is much less comfortable to hold and a much more cumbersome form factor with the VF-4.