Can EPM-1 does serious photography ??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by suoersta, May 26, 2012.

1. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Hi guys, i am very interested in photography and i can say that i can't live without it and hence my gear must be good enough. I was initially thinking of getting EM-5, but its price is over budget for me, hence i narrow it down to the cheapest body with the 2 BIG lenses - panny 20mm and Oly 45mm. If i get the EPM1 + 20mm + 45mm, does it mean they can compensate for the high ISO issue due to the large aperture ?? Because i takes a lot of night event portrait and i really don't wanna ruin my low light shots.

In a simple words : Can EPM1 + 45mm +20mm does as well as EM5 in terms of IQ and High ISO ?? i emphasize on IQ a lot.

Please advise me. Thanks!!

Shoot mainly portrait and architecture.

2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    IQ, yes.
    High ISO, no. Good up to ISO800, grainy at 800-1600 (mostly luminance noise), bad above it (chroma noise).
    Good enough for me, I use the 20&45 all the time on my EPL3 (same sensor)
    Hope this helps.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The E-M5 is better than the E-PM1 in regard to high ISO and IQ. Whether either one will satisfy you is anyone's guess.

You might want to mention what you are shooting with now and maybe post some pics.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Also, look at the G3, which has better high ISO than the EPM1, yet is pretty affordable compared to the OMD. Or a GX1.

5. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    I have played Canon 1000d for a short while before, i remember i bump up the iso to about 1600 before and it seems fine for me. So say..does EPM1 has about the same ISO performance as this canon entry dslr ???

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What do you consider "Serious Photography"?

7. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    @spatulaboy : as in not just usual point & shoot for the sake of capturing the images down for collection of memories . But to shoot as those DSLR pro shooters but with a smaller body.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I see demiro beat me to my main point

When you ask questions like this you really have to define better where you are coming from.... preferably with examples of what you are hoping to achieve.

'serious photography' is a broad church... some people are serious about getting the sharpest, lowest grain shot... others sacrifice some of that for the size of the camera and the ability to 'get a shot' to heck with grain and blur... if the image has power then these are not important.

For some people printing big pictures is important ... for others publishing on the web is enough.... then again some people have over high expectations of how much the camera contributes to the photograph...the camera only can try and capture what it is pointed at... it cannot work miracles... you need a subject and light and understanding of how that light will work

here is an example of really low light on E-P1 (older than the E-PM1).... as a photo it works for me... maybe for you its full of horrors...

5329527327_273dd5a2fa_z.
    Henri lights up by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Good or as you call it 'serious' photography has very little to do with the camera and more to do with the photographer.

Learn how to take good photographs... then buy a good camera... not the other way round.

E-PM1 is a perfectly fine camera... in a decent photographers hands the results will be difficult for most people to distinguish from that taken with the Canon 1000.... Most people don't care about the camera used... they care about the picture

K

• Like Like x 3
  10. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    @Kevinparis, hi kevin thanks very much for your advise. I shoot mainly portraits and especially during night event, hence i might require a better ISO performance, but i don't do cropping. Have you ever try flash with your ep1 ?? does it help ??

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the E-PM1 is more than adequate for portraits and events, and even much more adequate than Kevin's E-P1 (which is already very good, as his post shows!). I'm a working commercial photographer and work very largely in fashion and entertainment, and two out of three of the cameras I use these days are Minis. Very roughly half of my income comes from products, and about half from portrait and event type photography. My portraits are mostly of a commercial nature with professional models for advertisement purposes, but can also be on a b2c level with families, etc. To me, they're both mostly the same in terms of what I need as the photographer. My events can range from outdoor events to nightclubs. Nightclubs are the worst, but unfortunately too frequent. :rolleyes: The Mini has been my best tool, body-wise, for my work that's come along in a while. The portability is incredible, and the image results are always great with much less care needed towards carefully tailored white balance (due to the great AWB system of the new PENs)... which is really nice when you're shooting events, though not necessary for studio work.

Go ahead and judge for yourself... my website is at Cyclops Photo Studio and the majority of my photos shown are recent from the current crop of PEN cameras. I don't display older photos for long.

As far as flash and other lighting (including studio strobes, etc.) are concerned, yes they are just as important on a PEN as with any other camera, and will affect the image in the exact same way. You say you do portraits and night events. Both of those require extensive use and knowledge of professional lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    @Ned :Thanks very much for your informative advises Ned, i would like to know that you as a pro photographer, do you feel uncomfortable without a viewfinder and the most important is how you cope with the ISO issue of EPM1 when shooting in night clubs ???

13. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Thanks very much for your informative advises Ned, i would like to know that you as a pro photographer, do you feel uncomfortable without a viewfinder and the most important is how you cope with the ISO issue of EPM1 when shooting in night clubs ???

14. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    From looking at the dpreview comparometer in the E-PM1 review at ISO 1600, the PM1 looks very similar at ISO 1600 to the Canon Rebel dslrs. Some areas sharper, some less so - probably more a function of precise focus than anything else.

I have a T3i and an E-PM1, and there is a little difference in real-world usage. Although I understand that there are theoretical high ISO and dynamics range differences, I don't feel there is enough difference to use one camera or another in a portrait or architecture situation. I use the E-PM1 90% of the time because it is small and light, and the Canon only for fast action - and that only because I have a Canon 70-200/2.8 L lens.

• Like Like x 1
  15. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Hey Roberto, so basically you would prefer using EPM-1 over your T3i ?? but its because of its size or somewhat the image quality is also almost the same or probably better than t3i ??

16. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    e-pm1 should be fine for most applications. As you know, good photos are good because of the right lighting that you choose (natural light, time of day, or flash photography) and the composition of the photos (or pose of the person). E-pm1 wouldn't be any different, it's just smaller and easier to carry around. Having a good lens helps more than having a good body.

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Yes, any m4/3 camera can be used for "serious" photography. Generally speaking, the photographer has to be "serious," although sometimes I do simple when I take pictures.

Noise is not a problem. It is part of the "look."