1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can anyone share their experience with the Olympus FL-600R flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vulpix, May 1, 2012.

1. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Seems a bit quiet on this front for this flash. Anyone here a proud owner of this flash and want to share their experience or maybe a mini review on this flash? I've been trying to find a place selling the flash at 299 USD and not 399, but haven't had much luck...

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Is it actually out yet?

3. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Yeah, saw a few photos of the physical unit in the hands of some DPR people, so it should be out. And read some people getting their hands on some in HK.

4. laydros

laydros New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    I'm interested in hearing about it too. Sounds like it may basically be a 4 battery version of the FL-36, and with an LED for AF assist and video. 4 battery means a little bigger but should have a better recharge time, which is a weakness of the FL-36.

It seems like the FL-600 and spare batteries were put on the back burner to fulfill orders for the OM-D, not many out yet.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm actually told that the FL-600R is very slightly smaller than the FL-36R. Expect it to be the about the same size...

According to the numbers, the FL-600R is pretty much like firing an FL-50R at 1/2 power. That means that you get the same output power as the FL-36R, with half the recycle time of the FL-50R (at full power)... and in the same compact form of the FL-36R which made it so great.

Sounds like the perfect flash for me, once I can get it in my area... Only problem is, I have so many flash units I don't know if I'd want to invest in anymore for now until another one breaks. Maybe if I could afford a half dozen FL-600Rs then I would simply replace all my units, lol. That ain't gonna happen...

6. namco

namco Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    I got mine the other day.
    First proper flash so cant really compare.
    The video LED can be turned on and off manually (on or off camera).
    There is also an AUTO LED mode that will have the LED turn on when OMD is in video mode (via dial) and turns off when the mode dial changes.
    Other than that the RC function works pretty well and recharge time is pretty quick.

EDIT: Oh... and i got the battery as well at the same time so they are readily available in Japan.

Sorry for crappy phone pics.

aUaCM. clw55.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Hey namco, who did you have to rob/assault to get your hands on this? :( I want one but I refuse to pay more than US$299 for one.

8. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Good. It's a single button flash for angle/rotate like the FL50R. The FL36R's 2 button angle and rotate is always tripping me up when I need to shift the flash fast.

9. namco

namco Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Im currently living in Japan. It works out to be about $300usd for it.
    i also got the extra battery for about $70usd.

10. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I pre-ordered one on the same day as my E-M5... Cant wait!!

11. rkrenn

rkrenn New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2012
    Works as a Commander

Just did some quick tests with FL-600R
    When RC Mode is turned OFF in Camera menu, Flash modes (on flash) are "TTL A", "A", "M", "FP TTL A" and "FP M".
    When RC Mode is turned ON in Camenra Memu, there is only one flash mode (on flash) "RC". When in this mode it will control a FL-50R :). The FL-600R still fires but it is not very bright so it does not contribute to the exposure, I guess it acts like the pop up flash on the E-5.
    I did try it with a canon off flash cord, CLP On and CLP off, but the FL-50R fired about a second after the shutter closed. I'm not sure what is going on here, will need to do more testing.

Hope this helps.
    Richard

• Like Like x 1
  12. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Starting to ship - batteries too?

Olympus just sent delivery info for the FL-600R and extra BLN-1.

• Like Like x 1
  13. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    p.s. ordered from Oly USA on April 25

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Very interesting, have you tried using the little commander flash on the camera and as the commander, with both the 50R and 600R as remote flashes. Example, bouncing the 50R and using the 600r as a side light or fill light?
    Please keep us posted.

15. lexnihilo

lexnihilo New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    For anyone interested, they did have a few in stock at B&H when I was there yesterday - priced at $369.

16. rkrenn

rkrenn New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2012
    The little commander does work with both the 600R and 50R. I also got the 600R to work with a cable but I had to change the light level from low to med in the RC menu on the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  17. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    It doesn't use double AA batteries? :dash2:

18. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Wow, Olympus Singapore must think we are retarded over here in Singapore. The retail price for the FL-600R is ~US$558, and street price is ~US$471. And it's US$299 in America. Guess I know where I'm getting mine now.

19. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I'm reading this thread with great interest. Any sense on how the FL-600R compares with the Metz AF-1 50? The feature sets appear similar (zoom, tilt, and swivel head; wireless TTL; rear control panel), but Olympus and Metz state guide numbers at completely different zoom settings.

—Andreas

20. jamesm1291

jamesm1291 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2012
    600R flash on the OMD

I tried out the 600R flash on my OMD at the dealers the other day, unfortunately because two new otherwise perfectly functional 300R flashes, one of which I bought as part of the May rebate, simply refused to work on my OMD. Strangely enough, the 600R worked perfectly on my OMD, indicating that for some, there is a compatibility problem between the OMD and the 300R rebate flash. However, my comment about the 600R is that it is not a flash attached to a camera, but a camera attached to a flash. The flash screws up the ergonomics completely in my hands with its huge flash bulk on top of the little OMD. This is not the reason I bought an OMD, wanting a small easily carried accessory camera to complement my Canon 5D. This would be a much better flash for the Canon, were it not for an already available and excellent Canon flash. I'm now back to my old FL14 flash on my OMD, which works perfectly and gives more output than the mini flash that came with the camera. My dealer is now busy at work with Olympus trying to figure out the FL300R compatibility problem with my OMD.