1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can anyone recommend a repair shot to fix my Olympus 9-18mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by s0nus, Jan 19, 2015.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've logged in here! I spent the last year or so travelling with my m43 kit (plan on sharing images soon!) and unfortunately I dropped my Olympus 9-18mm while on the road. Doh!

It no longer focuses at any focal length except when it's full wide. When zooming a bit, I get the horrible "Please check the status of the lens" error.

I bought the lens gently used (from somebody here I believe) and it's out of warranty. Of course, I could go to Olympus directly, but I was wondering if the community here would have any suggestions?

I'm in Chicago, USA.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about your accident. You can get a basic repair quote directly from Precision Camera's web site. They are the contracted repair facility for Olympus America. I am not aware of other third party companies in the US who specialize in Olympus equipment. And Precision should warrant their repair.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You could also check with the Nikon repair facility in the Chicago area, APS, to see if they service other brands. Like Precision, they are an independent company.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Olympus USA's flat rate to repair the 9-18 is $136.85. Go to getolympus.com and drill down from their support button.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I have been really happy with Olympus repair. They fixed my FL-600R in 2 days.

I love the 9-18mm, I'd send it to Olympus Repair (precision) without hesitation.

Cheers,
    -Joe

• Like Like x 1
  6. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I've had my kit lens and EM10 repaired by Olympus in the past without any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    KEH.com also has a repair facility, although for the flat price of $136 and some change from Olympus, you'd be hard pressed to do better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks everyone. It looks like I'll go with Olympus directly. Cheers!

9. I don't remember dropping my 9-18mm, but it does the same thing whenever it is zoomed beyond 14mm. It's been like that since late 2013 but I haven't had a repair quote done yet because 9-14mm is still a fairly usable range.