Can anyone recommend a reference book for Lightroom 4?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ccplady, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    I just bought Lightroom 4, and I could sure use a good teaching or reference book. Can anyone recommend one that has worked well to get them up to speed?
  2. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
  3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Scott Kelby has a great book, but I learned a lot about that software from viewing Lightroom 4 tutorials on YouTube.
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I find Scott Kelby's books to be a pretty good introduction, but I honestly can't stand his sense of humor, so after reading his first few digressions, I skipped the rest and just extracted the "meat" of the book. (I bought his LR3 book and found it somewhat useful, but I don't use it as a reference and probably wouldn't buy any more of his books.)

Martin Evening's book is very thorough and perhaps a little daunting for a LR newbie. But it's a great book, both to read and as a reference. I bought his LR4 edition. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The (9780321819598): Martin Evening: Books

I also purchased Victoria Bampton's LR3 "Missing FAQ" book and upgraded to the LR4 version at a discount. This one's a good reference, but I also read it cover to cover when I first got it. It's easy to read, to the point and thorough without overwhelming a new user. I found it infinitely more useful than Kelby's book. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users (9780956003072): Victoria Bampton: Books

Home | The Lightroom Queen

I bought the LR3 printed version and then contacted her for my "free" e-book versions. When I upgraded to her LR4 edition, I jut bought the e-book directly from her at a discount. Even if you buy elsewhere, if you register your purchase with her, she'll notify you of revisions that accompany each LR4 update. IMNSHO, I'd start with Victoria's book.

Luminous Landscape also has a video tutorial series that is reportedly thorough and frequently updated. It's reasonably priced, too. There are both intro and advanced versions, and the samples I've viewed tempted me to open my wallet. But I thought I'd best finish reading my book purchases first!

Introduction & Advanced Guide to Lightroom 4 [Lr4-A] - $59.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

FYI, I first began using LR with version 3.
    HTH! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For learning, Scott Kelby's book is without peer.

As an all-inclusive reference to everything LR 4 can do, Martin Evening's book is by far the most complete. But it's a real slog if you're trying to learn the program by following the book.

A book I have on order is "The Missing Lightroom FAQ" which looks to be a very good reference for those questions that crop up while you're in the middle of actually using the program.
  6. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    For initial learning, I found Scott Kelby's book to be the best, notwithstanding his weird sense of humor. I just started at the beginning, then worked my way through it. After getting up to speed, I find that Victoria Bampton's "The Missing Lightroom FAQ" is better organized for looking up something, or for refreshing your memory on how to accomplish a specific task.
  7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Agreed on the sense of pained me. His books are otherwise great though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ccplady

ccplady Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Orlando. FL
    Thank you all for the quick replies. Now I've got some good places to start.
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I have the Martin Evening book on Lightroom 4. It's bit difficult to just read, but if you want to figure out how to use certain aspects of the program, I've found it quite helpful so far. A lot of the things he discusses are a bit over my head, but for $32 it was worth it.
  10. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    50% Off All Kelby iOS Training Apps - These prices good at the Apple App Store before 3:00pm1 ET Thursday, July 5.

$4.99 - for the: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Crash Course for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

- Offline access to 720p HD Video
    - AirPlay support for audio/video from iPhone or iPad
    - Approximate Runtime 1 hour 37 minutes

I do read Scott Kelby's blog and use his books and I thought this might be of interest to anyone moving up to Lightroom 4.
  11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I recommend the Luminous Landscape Video tutorials :smile:
    Learning ability is quicker than from a book