Can any MFT lens fit on my E-P3?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jimi, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jimi

jimi New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2013
    I am new to photography so pardon my ignorance. I have an Olympus E-P3 and am looking to get my first prime lens.
    My question is: will any MFT lens from other brands (ie panasonic, leica, etc) fit my camera without needing an adapter or losing something (eg. Auto focus)? Another words can I choose from any MFT lens or should i stick to Olympus lenses?

(I am looking to get a portrait lens to take family photos as I'm just married and starting a family. Any suggestions?)
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Only exception is the 3D lens. This lens only works on a Panasonic body.

Otherwise any Micro Four Thirds lens will work on your E-P3 camera.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    This is true that the Panasonic 3D lens is the only :43: lens not compatible with the E-P3, although that lens does work on the OM-D (which is the only Olympus body with which it is compatible) and I'm not sure it's compatible with ALL of the early Panasonics (e.g. the G1).

As to the OP's original question, there is no reason to limit yourself to Olympus lenses. For portraits, your best bets are probably the Olympus 45/1.8, the Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 and the Olympus 75/1.8 depending on which focal length you feel most comfortable with. Since you mention starting a family, I would tend to go with the shorter focal lengths, since particularly with babies you're going to want to get close to your subject (if for no other reason than to be able to catch them when they start to fall over). I'd look at the PL 25/1.4 or even the Panasonic 20/1.7 pancake or Olympus 17/1.8.
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    I'll just add that for babies, I've used the Panasonic 14mm and Sigma 30mm a whole lot for shots of my little one. I picked them based on price, and they don't disappoint. I'd like the Panasonic 20mm eventually, but I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

And there is full functionality of all lenses on all bodies, except as noted above. I have used lenses from all three brands I oen (Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma) on both bodies, and it just works.
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The PL25 is a very versatile lens, can't go wrong with it.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I definitely agree. Welcome to the forum!
  7. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Welcome to the Forum — one of the beautiful things about using µ4/3 is they use a common lens mount, with the already-noted exception of the 3D lens, ALL of the Panny and Oly lenses will work. And you can get aµ4/3 adapters that will then allow you to use legacy glass from the likes of Nikon, Canon, or Leica to fit on the cameras!

Don't forget to check out the Olympus 15 mm ƒ/8 "Lens Cap" lens for sheer fun, too! (Yes, there is a forum here for it, too!)
  8. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I find I can barely get a shutter speed fast enough to catch my baby sometimes! I use my OM 50mm 1.4 the most, then the Panasonic 20mm 1.7, then either my CCTV 25mm 1.4 or the OM 100mm 2.8. I don't find the manual focus lenses hold me back right now, as my baby is only four months old and not yet crawling, but I'll probably be looking for a Olympus 45 1.8 in the summer.

By the way, the Olympus OM lenses are vintage fully-manual lenses that I use a lens adapter with. Same with the CCTV lens, but it's a different type of adapter. The OM 50mm and the CCTV lens came with my E-P2, which I bought used, and I wound up picking up a 100mm and 200mm used as they were cheap ways to expand my lens collection and I found manual shooting engaging. If you're interested, take a look at the Adapted Lenses forum here for many great recommendations.
  9. jimi

jimi New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks guys. you not only answered my question but read my mind. I was looking to get the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 or the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7

My thoughts are: I might as well go for the f1.4, the lower the f-stop the better, right? Any comments welcomed!
  10. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    I have a 5 month old baby boy, started off with the P20mm 1.7 and recently upgraded to the PL25 1.4

Both lenses give excellent results but the quicker AF on the PL25 is a real bonus and a marked improvement over the 20mm.