1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Can any E-PM1 user please help me out?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by h3csc, Sep 16, 2012.

1. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi fellow PM1 user, I have just got my PM1 a few days ago. I was using the E-P1 before this. After using it for a few days and comparing to the E-P1 photo I am suspecting my PM1 could be a defected unit. The way it renders black are always purple oil painting like regardless of iso or noise reduction level. I reset setting to default and it stills does not look right. Please take a look at my attached photo and tell me whether it is normal for the PM1 to behave like that.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi and welcome,

These are the 2 camera bodies that I use. I also upgraded from the EP1 to the EPM1. I am assuming that you already understand the benefits of the newer body, ie:

focus assist lamp
    quicker focusing
    much improved AWB.

Can you provide a little more information on what mode these shots were taken in, what lens and general lighting conditions. I am a fan of "A" mode and use this mode about 98% of the time.

I have never encountered this before. One thing that is recommended, is to turn off the warm mode setting for the white balance. I have the sharpness set at -1 and all other settings are at 0.

There are many people here that would be able to assist, so the more information you can provide, the more they can assist.

3. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I am shooting in aperture priority usually in natural colour mode, auto white balance, noise reduction off and noise filter to low.

I have tried on two different lens. The first generation Olympus 14-42 and a CCTV 35mm F1.7. Both gives the same result in low light. In fact the issue is not that obvious on computer unless and crank up the brightness but it is very obvious and disturbing on the camera LCD screen.

I am providing an additional sample shot with the CCTV lens at F16, 1/4000, ISO 200. What I should get is a totally pitch black image but what I get was a huge mix of purple, grey and black in a oil painting like texture. (To make it more obvious on a monitor I have increased the fill light and crop a section of the whole image out so it will looks like what I see from the camera's LCD screen.)

Again, thank you so much for helping!

EDIT: Another minor issue I faced when compared to the E-P1 is the white balance always tipped toward the warm side (despite I have turned off the keep warm setting) when compared to the E-P1. Not a major issue though when compared the the purple colour error.

Attached Files:

4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Wow, that is crazy. Other things I could suggest:

1. Check using the Olympus updater with the 14-42 connected so ensure that the most current firmware is installed in the lens and the camera body.
    2. Ensure the contacts on the lens and camera body are clean.
    3. Try the camera in program or manual mode after performing the update to see if there are any different results.

On a side note, I have had a few exposure issues with the EP1 and the FL36R. This has occurred twice over a 2 year period and after speaking with Oly customer support they suggested a custom reset. This rectified the issue, whatever it was.

I have no experience with CCTV lenses, but never stop down my native M43 lenses past F:8.0.

Apart from that, I cannot offer anything further. I hope there is a simple solution to this.

5. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    I have been reading about some PM1 user bricked their PM1 after the firmware update so that held me back a bit. Looks like I will have to give it a try. Thanks.

What do you mean by custom reset?

6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    In the EP1 menus it is named a custom reset. I just checked both bodies and in the EPM1 is it called a reset, which you have performed already to default.

7. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    I have just updated to the latest firmware and the purple colour error still showing up everywhere in the black.

Can I have a look at how your PM1 will behave in the test I tried? Or simply just shoot a photo with the lens cap on. Just to make sure if it is normal. Thanks for your help.

8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Okay, he are 2 photos using the Mark 2 14-42mm Oly lens.

1. With lens cap on (P9161945).

2. As per your testing parameters (P9161949).

Hope this is of some assistance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Thank you so much. Now I am sure that there is something wrong with the camera. I am contacting the seller for a refund now. Thanks a lot.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    (Heavy) noise reduction is a fact of life in underexposed areas on most Olympus cameras include the E-PM1. If you turn noise filter to off (noise reduction in the camera refers to long-exposure noise, so turning it off won't help here) it'll help a little. Beyond that, the only solution is to shoot RAW and process with a 3rd party (non-Olympus) converter. And of course expose to the right. The brighter the exposure, the less noise reduction will be used.

DH

11. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    One other thing - and I suspect it won't make much difference, but it might, try setting the JPEG compression to super-fine.

12. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    I have tried all different noise reduction setting, superfine jpeg and RAW, shoot with different lens and even without lens they all turned out to have the same problem. Even shooting in black and white there are patches of grey in there.

I have even shoot exactly the same setting in the exact situation on the old E-P1 and the old E-P1 handles this situation as it should. Shooting with the lens cap and 1/4000 shutter speed should end up with a clean black (or with little dots of noise) instead of a big random pattern of different colours. Probably a sensor defect. Unfortunately there are no Olympus repair center here in Melbourne so I am contacting the seller to see if he is willing to resolve the problem without having to report this to an officials.

Thanks for everyone who helped. It is very nice to know there are still people out there who are willing to help each other for no reason.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It is possible, but there could be something else at work too. Can you post RAW files from both the E-P1 and E-PM1 of the lens cap shot using the same exposure on both and a link (yousendit.com or dropbox)?

DH

14. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    I did pixel mapping and not sure if that will make the problem less likely to be spotted. When I view the RAW file from E-PM1 and zoom in 14x the image looks like the one I posted on the previous page. However when I view it from the monitor it appeared to be alright (I have sent the seller about I need more time to make sure if it is a defect).

The problem is the JPEG file. Both at superfine (All noise filter have the same problem on my PM1) and the difference is obvious. I have posted both JPEG file below with fill light cranked to maximum on Picasa. The PM1 jpeg looks like an oil painting while the EP1 file is basically black with lots of little dots of noise.

The most disturbing thing are while both are shot at the same resolution JPEG (included in the rar file below), the EP1 file is 4.04MB and the PM1 file is just 1.52MB! When shooting in scene with lots of different colours the size are about the same. The size difference only happen when shoot in full black.

Now I started to doubt if it is a sensor problem or a buggy software onboard. I have updated the firmware to the latest version.

Both in superfine JPEG (maximum fill light)
    [ame]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w43/h3csc/pm1ep1.jpg[/ame]

RAW file
    pm1-ep1.rar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    make sure gradation is set to normal

16. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Yup. I have even tried low gradation, doesn't help much.
    The root of the problem is probably something wrong with how the JPEG treats the colour black. Like I said above, both photos that are shot with lens cap in exactly same resolution has 4 times the difference in size. The black JPEG file from PM1 has virtually no detail at all when compared to the E-P1 file.

EDIT: If any PM1 user that are kind enough to take a superfine jpeg with lens cap on and check the file size, it will proves that whether the extremely small file size is a defect or it is simply part of the PM1. Thank you so much.

17. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Yes I did, I tried leaving it on too and the result are about the same. So unlikely to be related to
    - Noise reduction
    - Noise filter
    - White Balance
    - Colour mode (Increasing contrast do make the problem worse though)

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like you've got any settings errors down then. I would contact your Olympus Regional Repair Center and let them know, including all the tests you've done and all the input you've received here.

You could try another lens as well, though I don't see how that could make any difference from what I see in your sample pic. It's always best to narrow down every variable though.

19. h3csc

h3csc Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2012
    Unfortunately there is not Olympus repair center here in Melbourne (ridiculous isn't it?). I might bring it to a local camera store and see if they can help me out with that. I won't be able to use the warranty card in that case.

20. knfeparty

knfeparty Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    Hi guys; I am a new PM1 user. This thread has made me a bit paranoid. If I have the camera on with the lens cap on using a legacy lens, or if it is simply extremely dark, the screen seems to have a bit of a purplish plaid overlay. The actual pictures turn out what I would deem as completely normal though- just black. Normal?

Attached are some pics of the camera and lenses. Sorry they are all from my android.

Attached Files: