Can an ultrapod reliably hold 1kg?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by vinay, Jan 6, 2013.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm looking for an tiny tripod for my tiny kit (14,20,45). I've narrowed it down to a joby micro800 or an ultrapod 1. The joby looks tinier but the ultrapod looks like it's more flexible with a design optimized for tying to poles.

The ultrapod 1 is supposed to hold a load of upto 3lb (1.3kg). I'm wondering if anybody is comfortably using it with an m43 kit? Seems all mentions of ultrapod on the forum are for the ultrapod 2.
  2. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Stronger Ultrapod2 its just right for G3 + PL45 (410g+250g), with heavier lens e.g. adapted Sonnar 135 (450g) or with flash FL36r (320g) you will quickly reach edge of usability.
  3. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

Here is an ultrapod 1 with EP2 +12mm

thats about the max it can hold, and the "ballhead" isnt very stiff.

i also own an ultrapod 2 , that can safely be used with my EM5 + MMF3 + 12+60, thats the one i use the most now .
    The quick release head is nice but the construction is weaker than the ultrapod 2 ( but i use it )
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have an Ultra pod 1 and have no problems using it with my E-P3. I'm not sure I would use it with my 100-300mm, that might be just a bit heavy. Otherwise, it works fine. :thumbup:
  5. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Sounds like it would no issue holding an e-p3 with 14/20/45

What about the 9-18? Its a little heavier and longer.
  6. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have both the UltraPod I and II. I just mounted my OM-D + Oly 45 - I don't have a lot of faith in the tiny pea-sized ball on the UltraPod I with this rig, but I suppose would work in a pinch. You'd probably be ok with a Pen and smaller lens combo on this rig. The UltraPod II works much better with the above combo-I took these shots with OM-D + Oly 9-18 with the II strapped to a railing, and was plenty secure for 15 sec exposures. I also use a the UltraPod II quick release with this tripod.