Can an Olympus be adjusted to deliver cool Panasonic jpeg colors?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Jul 22, 2012.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    While I like the slightly warm look of Olympus jpeg colors most of the time when shooting green dominated landscapes in the winter and spring, in the summer here in California the landscapes are dominated by light tan grass and Oly Pen and OM-D cameras tend to turn that tan into an unappealing orange.

I was wondering if anyone knows of in camera adjustments that can be made to force Oly pen and omd cameras to deliver the more cool jpeg colors typical of Panasonic jpegs?

So far I've tried things like "turn warm colors off" and trying out a 5200 Kelvin custom white balance setting and setting the White Balance compensation a notch or two in the minus Amber direction, but these measures havn't worked fully satisfactorily. Is there any other option I might be overlooking to (temporarily) get a Panasonic jpeg look out of an Olympus pen or OMD camera? Thanks

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah tons of options. I just posted an article on my blog about customizing jpegs. Although in my article I made the colors more film like you can always make them more green.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I shooting RAW out of the question? That would probably be the simplest solution.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Why on earth would anyone want to change the great Olympus colours..particularly with the Panasonic....if you want Pany colour buy a Pany:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    At one time there was a thread about how Panasonic owners could make in camera adjustments to enable them to deliver Olympus-like jpeg colors so I assumed the reverse might also be true?

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :rofl: :rofl::rofl:
    Okay, so now we have 2 cases of "blasphemy" that have occurred here.

The first was when a member stated that they did not like the OMD E-M5...And now this makes case number 2 (Making Olympus produce Panasonic colors)....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Here is an example of what I am talking about. The photo on the left is an out of the camera jpeg from my E-PL1
    (light tan grass looks orange colored) and the photo on the right represents true to life colors.

So my question is what in camera settings can I make on the E-PL1 to make that grass look light tan as it is in real life? Thanks.
    orange.

8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I would respectfully suggest that you turn off the vivid mode

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The solution is simple, use the camera that was used to shoot the "TRUE TO LIFE" color, which appears to be the same camera and the same image, only with different PP.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    You could try the iAuto mode (p18) and just make the color less warm, or you could change the WB compensation (p42) by shifting it in the Green and Blue direction (less Magenta, and Amber).

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    You can dial in less A and more G for the white balance of any color mode --natural, vivid, mute, etc. Although I always shoot a raw file, I also dial out amber in my Olympus cameras. While what you consider "true to life color" is too cyan/green for my taste, I do find Olympus jpegs OCC a bit too warm for my taste. I loathe any hint of too much magenta in color photos.

And, yes, turn off vivid.

As to why do I shoot Olympus. Well, because I shoot raw mostly, and I go with the cameras whose bodies and controls I prefer. Please, I'm not knocking Panasonic; I like what I like.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I started that thread. What I did was go into the AWB controls and adjust it to be more warm. I don't have an Olympus camera any more to see if it can do the same but if my memory serves me correctly you can do the same thing. I agree that turning off Vivid is a good idea and I believe the default in the newer cameras is to have warmer colors OFF. If you turned that on in them menus then go back and turn it off. You could set all of this on one of the custom settings so you can go back to "Olympus Colors" when you wish.

FWIW I have always found the "Olympus Colors" pleasing but not exactly accurate. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't help more but without an Olympus nearby I'm going from memory.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I shoot Panasonic for much the same reason(s). I like the way they do their controls and UI. It's good to have options.

14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Try the Muted picture style, too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol .. why not B&W ? thats the only setting where Oly output will look similar to Panasonic otherwise Oly will show more usable and beautiful JPEGS SOOC..lol
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Lol
    Just kidding , I think just reduce the saturation and contrast and you are done.I had G2 and it wasnt that bad but normally people want Oly colors from Panny and you want opposite and thats interesting .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Giulio,
    Tried your setting with my OMD indoors tonight. Thanks for posting. I have been trying to come up with acceptable JPEG settings when PP is not critical since I got my camera. Would you use the same adjustment for A and G for indoor shooting as well?

You mentioned that you like some noise in your images and yet you always reduce the sharpness. For OOC JPEGs doesn't it make sense to have the camera do the work? Not questioning your expertise, please don't take it the wrong way, just trying to figure out the numbers behind the settings. Would increasing the contrast compensate for not doing in camera sharpness?

Cannot wait to see what settings you come up with for OMD.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Testy, testy! I thought the OP explained himself very clearly. :biggrin:

18. sadwitch

sadwitch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you're using custom WB, I'll suggest 4800-4900K if you want cooler shoots in bright day as your sample suggest. If you can adjust the WB "all", try -3 A and +3 G and press AEL for a test shot after each adjustment to see which colour response you prefer. It's hard to mimic colour signature from other makes in OOC jpegs as that's where different camera apply their colour signatures to. I find sony and panasonic colours rather similar and olympus will be to fuji for OOC jpegs. Canon warm, nikon cool. RAW would give you the most control in the look of the colours but still it's not that straightforward as using one profile to apply to all photographic conditions.

It'll be good if you have a different setting depending on what dominant colours are in the frame as it affects the WB reading.

I choose olympus based on their OOC colours over all other makes. So if you find yourself wanting panasonic colours more often then not, I think you'll have less frustration just getting yourself a panasonic. And of course colour preferences are totally subjective.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not trying to shoot natural and then customizing everything to a conservative setting.

20. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I recently got an epl3 as a second body to my G1 (lots of PENS going cheap in the UK at the moment) and the first lot of pictures on the factory settings were dreadful dayglo orange and over-contrasty. Have toned it all down now - warm off, natural, less contrast, less sharpened, less amber. Not had chance to fully test it all out but short version: yes you can tweak the settings quite a bit.