Can a Yongnuo YN 560 III be used on an Oly body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by godwinaustin, Mar 11, 2014.

1. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    Seems there are a lot of people asking about wireless triggers, but is it safe to my Yongnuo 560 III (designed for canon) on my Olympus E-M5 hot shoe?

I know there is no TTL obviously, just wondering if its safe from a compatibility/voltage standpoint.
  2. jlim76

jlim76 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    Not sure abt the yongnou but my nissin di866 (Canon mount) works fine on the epm1
  3. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    I just figured what the hell, and threw the flash on the hotshoe, and it works great. I did some research and it looks like the Yongnuo YN 560 III fires at 3.5 volts, and the Oly hot shoe can handle 6.5 volts.

So good to go.

FYI this is an amazing flash and at 70 dollars seems like an absolute steal.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    I've used my YN-560 III extensively on-camera with my E-P5, works great, of course handling was a bit awkward. :smile: I now have an FL-600R for on-camera work with my E-M1 but have picked up additional YN-560 III units for use off camera. They are an excellent value...powerful, quiet, and the built-in wireless receiver is really convenient. Looking forward to the upcoming transmitter with remote power control. BTW, if you haven't already, dig into the custom settings on the flash -- there are some useful things you can tweak, like the timeout before the flash sleeps or shuts itself off. (It was annoying to miss the first shot when I hadn't realized it had fallen asleep.)
  5. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    It will work fine! Use it for many of my my opinion the best bang for the buck manual flash!

SSSYURRR Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Sergei Yurin
    I use them on E-M5 and E-P5 without any problems
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Yep, perfectly fine to use, and a real bargain flash unit. I use the 560 II models and a YN-568 that adds TTL and HSS for Nikon too, recommend them to anybody looking for a standard AA powered speedlight.

The only flashes you have to worry about are much older ones with different voltages.