Can a Yongnuo YN 560 III be used on an Oly body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by godwinaustin, Mar 11, 2014.

1. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    Jon
    Seems there are a lot of people asking about wireless triggers, but is it safe to my Yongnuo 560 III (designed for canon) on my Olympus E-M5 hot shoe?

I know there is no TTL obviously, just wondering if its safe from a compatibility/voltage standpoint.

2. jlim76

jlim76 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    Not sure abt the yongnou but my nissin di866 (Canon mount) works fine on the epm1

3. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    Jon
    I just figured what the hell, and threw the flash on the hotshoe, and it works great. I did some research and it looks like the Yongnuo YN 560 III fires at 3.5 volts, and the Oly hot shoe can handle 6.5 volts.

So good to go.

FYI this is an amazing flash and at 70 dollars seems like an absolute steal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    I've used my YN-560 III extensively on-camera with my E-P5, works great, of course handling was a bit awkward. :smile: I now have an FL-600R for on-camera work with my E-M1 but have picked up additional YN-560 III units for use off camera. They are an excellent value...powerful, quiet, and the built-in wireless receiver is really convenient. Looking forward to the upcoming transmitter with remote power control. BTW, if you haven't already, dig into the custom settings on the flash -- there are some useful things you can tweak, like the timeout before the flash sleeps or shuts itself off. (It was annoying to miss the first shot when I hadn't realized it had fallen asleep.)

5. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    It will work fine! Use it for many of my shoots....in my opinion the best bang for the buck manual flash!

6. SSSYURRR

SSSYURRR Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Sergei Yurin
    I use them on E-M5 and E-P5 without any problems

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yep, perfectly fine to use, and a real bargain flash unit. I use the 560 II models and a YN-568 that adds TTL and HSS for Nikon too, recommend them to anybody looking for a standard AA powered speedlight.

The only flashes you have to worry about are much older ones with different voltages.

8. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Regarding this flash with E-P5: the built-in wireless works with the camera, or would I need a transmitter? Either way (hot shoe or wireless) there is no TTL. But perhaps a Nissin will do both native wireless and TTL???

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I've used the Yongnuo 560 III and IV on all my Olympus, Pentax and Fuji cameras and as you noted they are a great value. Get the YN560-TX trigger which can easily control multiple speedlights and take the flash off camera to get professional type results. I use these speedlights bare, with colored filters or in my softboxes and they work quite well. You can build a three to five light system for a lot less than if you use the Big name speedlights and you will see no difference in your images in fact because you can afford to purchase more lights you will have a more complete system. By the way, I've never believed in using TTL in any camera as I don't want the camera to determine the strength of the flash. I find TTL much harder to control than using full manual and adjusting each speedlight to provide key and fill lighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks, what I needed.

I was wondering this too and going back and forth. At least a TTL flash would have a manual mode, but would I use TTL -- currently I'm thinking not so much.

Not expecting an answer, but there must be some sort of formula or rule-of-thumb to determining flash strength when using multiple flashes whether TTL or not (or combination),

11. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Works on bodies, which was too big for me, so I went for a (TTL) Nissin i40. I dig having the Yongnuo around as a remote, though, and the Panny G85 can remote-trigger it with its built-in flash.

12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I just looked at a you tube review and noticed that the 560III also has a sync cord plug. Is it safe to use the sync cord from an olympus to trigger these as well as the hot shoe? If it is I may get a pair of these as I am trying to get started with Macro. Purchased the FL600R but I would like to get some extras for manual mode.

13. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    i have 7 Yongnuo 560 IV and a YN560-TX trigger. This gives me massive options when I get my softbox's out. I can usually keep power down below 1/8 as I use 3 in my 120cm octobox, 2 in a 120 x 30 strip box or on their own in smaller options. I have 6 lighting sets on the trigger so all controlled from the camera. It was a but of an investment in rechargeable batteries, but have the charges at work so the boss helps with the running fees. :) I could not recommend these enough and love manual flash.

14. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Which 560-TX trigger do you use? I was looking at B&H and there are triggers for Canon & Nikon. Looked like these had the extra contacts for Canon & Nikon so not sure if they are compatable with Olympus. Could not see and generic 560-TX triggers with just the centre pin

From looking at B&H you also need one of these "RF602, RF603, RF603 II" to go with the 560-TX is that correct ? bit hard to see what I need for a system at B&H
    I was looking at these
    Yongnuo YN560-TX Manual Flash Controller for Canon YN-560-TXC
    and
    Yongnuo YN560-TX Manual Flash Controller for Nikon YN-560-TXN

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  15. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I went for the Canon option and it works fine. Yongnuo 560 III and IV flash heads have a receiver built in so nothing else needed. I think 560 III can only handle 3 sets (A,B and C) whereas the 560 IV has 6 sets (A-E) and can take over as transmitters if needed.

• Agree Agree x 1