Can a GX7 user confirm something for me please?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JamieW, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi guys, visiting from the other side for a bit.

I believe I hit a wall this morning with the E-M1 in that it cannot do tethered shooting to the PC / Mac in a studio setting over WIFI or over USB. I was curious if anyone can tell me how the WIFI works on the GX7. Do you give up control of the camera when you enable it, or can you keep shooting like I can on the 6D and have the images appear in Lightroom?

Thanks for your time!

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think the wifi only connects to a mobile app.

3. kitkatherine

kitkatherine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Katherine
    You can still control the camera when connected via WiFi. It is a bit finicky in distance (I use a smartphone to connect for self portraits for my style blog), and works best when behind or within about 3 feet of the camera. It becomes disconnected after that.

When you do control the camera, it does lock up the app for a bit. If you are looking at the images, and you control the camera again, it will do the "Camera control in progress" and for me, it kicks me back to the remote functionality screen.

Definitely works well for reviewing images. It updates the images as you control, and once you stop messing the camera, you'll see them there. I often take about 10 shots, review them to make sure that I got myself not blinking or something out of focus through the app, then move for the next set of shots.

Hope that helps!

4. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    You mention the app, as spatualboy also did above. Have you tried connecting to your computer, or is this not an option? I'm trying to have my images appear in Lightroom as I shoot in the studio like I do on the 6D.

If this isn't possible over WIFI, can anyone confirm whether it's possible over USB?

Thank you both for your replies.

5. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Will it work with an iPad?

Thanks,
    Moshe

6. kitkatherine

kitkatherine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Katherine
  7. tom123

tom123 New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thomas
    yes, it works. But unlike with my Android phone, you can't select to connect to the GX7 wifi within the app. You need to start the wifi on the camera, then connect to the wifi under Settings of the ipad/iphone, then open up the app to establish the actually connection. Still very easy to do.

8. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    i have a run down on it here on my photography channel. Tethering on pad and phone is superb with full live control over video as well as stills. I find a range of up to about 12 metres in a direct line.

http://youtu.be/W3bVrZz2Yfc

You cannot tether and operate from a PC but you can upload pictures to a folder of your choice or have them uploaded as you take them.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    If this is true then you could turn on LR's "Auto Import" feature and point it to the folder that the camera's WiFi uses when it uploads. Not quite the same as true tethering, but might be adequately functional.

10. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    It's not if it is true, I wouldn't post it unless it was.

11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The GX7 works the same as any of the other G series cameras with the app. I use it with my iPad2. After the initial connection the connection procedure is both easy and fast.

12. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    If there's no desktop app but you are running on a Mac, you might try downloading the iOS SDK and running the app in the SDK's emulator. https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

13. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you all for the responses. Sorry I didn't see the thread was updated after I looked last. Just now learned about the My Threads feature on the forum.

This is exactly what I'm looking for Lemmy, thank you. I might need to see if I can rent / borrow a GX7 and try this out.

14. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have connected with my ipad. Works very well for me.