Can a AF-D lens be put on a Nikon G adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by vinay, Mar 23, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm looking for an adapter for a (too sharp for its own good) Nikon 60 micro.

Although it has an aperture ring, would there be any harm if I put on a G capable adapter?
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, there won't be any harm.
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

In theory, no. You could control the lens aperture either via the aperture ring on the lens or the rather crude rotating ring on the adapter.

However, a note of caution. I bought just such an adapter and mounted my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AIS on it. It worked OK. Then I later removed and remounted the lens and broke the aperture tab on the lens mount. This should not have been possible but the adapter was poorly made and the aperture control ring on the adapter was able to move beyond the point where it began to pose a risk of damage. Of course I should also have checked this before remounting the lens. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The adapter brand was FOTGA and obviously I do not recommend it because it is crudely made. I regret buying a G adapter because a non-G version would not have caused the damage. Other adapter brands may be better but I counsel great caution in their use.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    And that's exactly why if you want the more advanced functions like aperture control for a G lens, buy a Novoflex or Voigtlander instead of the Chinese poorly machined jokes. At the very least, buy the respectable Chinese brands such as Kipon, Metabones, etc. I have a crappy Olympus adapter, and while it can't break anything, it doesn't fit well at all. I learned my lesson.
    • Like Like x 2