1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camping under a billion stars

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by OzRay, Apr 24, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    While camping out in the mountains (Nunniong Plains, Victoria), the weather cleared, which enabled me to try a shot of the Milky Way from our campsite. I had a really clear view, but the angle of the Milky Way just wasn't ideal for the background that I wanted, which was our campsite. This the best of the shots taken that night and, on reflection the next day, I realised that there were a few things I could have done better to improve the quality. The shot was taken with the E-M1, 7-14mm f4 lens, on a tripod at ISO4000 and 15sec. One thing is for certain, getting the perspective right in the middle of the night isn't as easy as I thought:

hcc20140401.

• Like Like x 17
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know it is the lens distortion of the wide angle lens but it almost looks like the fire is melting the pickup!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, I was surprised at the distortion imposed on the lower ground area, considering how far away the camera was from the camp itself.

4. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Ozray.. your photo is great. I can make out one of the Clouds of Magellan (a nearby galaxy) directly up from your car half way up the photo plus the Coal Sack at the Southern Cross. I have borrowed a friend's 7-14mm, I think I need to put it to good use.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I saw that and wondered what it was; astronomy isn't my strong point. Next time I get the opportunity, I think I might try this with my 14-35mm f2, longer focal length but faster, and see if I can get better results by getting in more light under the same timing. I'd really like to be able to have the scene going right overhead, rather than off to the side, but I'm not sure if that's possible so far down south.