1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Camping trip dilemma... need advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Peezie, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Hey guys just needed some opinions.

My problem is not knowing what to bring. I have a GF1 w/20mm so im taking that for sure. I DO NOT have any other lenses so unfortunately this is where my problem is. Should i bring my Canon 7D along with my canon 20mm 2.8 and my 24-105 f4 lenses. but im even thinking just to bring 20mm alone with out the zoom so that im even lighter. The only reason i would like to bring the 7D with the 20mm(32mm equivalent) is so that i have some thing wider than 40mm equivalent that the GF1 would give me. What do you guys think?

Now im really kicking myself for not buying that 14mm pancake yet:mad:

Truth be told but another reason for the 7D is... i think he is getting jealous of GF1 since i havent used her much in 5 months since i bought the GF1. :rofl:

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My thought? 32mm equivalent ain't worth lugging that around. If you know you like the 20mm on its' own, you won't miss it. Oh and if I were you I'd skip the 14 and go right to the 12mm!

I have the Pentax 15mm F4 limited lens which is 22.5mm equivalent - it is by and far away my favorite lens of all time. The 12mm's 24mm equivalent will be great - I'd get it in a heartbeat...if I didn't already have the 15mm!

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What do you think you're going to shoot out there?

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I find that the 20mm is nearly all I need. If you think you may need some more reach, pick up the 45-200mm......it's just too good for the price to NOT have it. Leave the Canon at home.....that's just my vote.

If you need wider, it's easy enough to shoot 2 shots (or more and stitch them together. I think you can skip the 14mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Go light and make due with whatever focal length you have. Need wider? Back up. Need a zoom? Step closer. That GF1+20 is a great combo. I'd go with that.

6. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Thats what i was thinking about the weight, to how much wider it would give me. I must admit i do love the pany 20mm.

Now about the 12mm vs the 14mm its double the cost of the 14mm and probably also double the size that's the reason for me thinking of the 14. Money is an issue for the lack of extra cash i have since im getting married in october. :smile:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with this. The difference between 14mm and 20mm is only substantial if you're standing in one spot with your feet cased in cement. Then you need that 14mm or 12mm lens to capture all the faces of the mobsters who are about to toss you in the lake. ;)

Otherwise, if you can't get everything in the frame just take a few steps back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I figured i would be able to take some nature pics by the lake.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I recently was at a lake and wanted a shot wider than the 20mm would give me. Tripod and multiple shot panorama. Practice one or 2 before your trip. Once you get the hang of it, they are TOO easy.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    By the lake, I would prefer an E-5, E-3, or E-1. ;)

11. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    i will have to try the stiching i guess.

12. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    This might be a stupid question but,
    Sorry im not understanding what this means... :confused:

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Personally, I don't think the 8mm is worth the effort of the 7D. I'd just take the GF1 and plan to work a bit harder ... some thought and foot zooming should make up the 8mm.

G

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those are Four-Thirds DSLRs from Olympus. They are fully weather sealed, as are all Zuiko high-grade and super high-grade lenses. If you drop them in the lake, it's not a big deal as long as you fish it out right away. Torrential downpours are no problem at all, for as long as you want to stay in them. The only other DSLRs that match Olympus for weather sealing is Pentax.

15. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I understand what the both of you are trying to say. and I agree about it being a great combo.

i just thought it might be a special enough occasion to take the 7D along since i havent used it since i bought the GF1.:wink:

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, you can never have too many cameras with you, or lenses for that matter. ;) As long as you don't mind the extra weight...

17. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    This will have to be what i will do since all of you guys are right about the 8mm not being worth it.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Sound like when you return you can fund the 12mm with the sale of a "lightly used 7D" And the F4 lens might help pay for the wedding too. :biggrin:

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you wanna try some birding ... then rent a long lens for the 7D, the focus, cropped sensor and FPS is ideal for some BIF's.

G

20. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

If you are not backpacking with your gear then bring it all along. I just got back from camping in the Ouachita Mountains and I took my :43: stuff as well as my D700, host of lenses and my mamiya universal medium format gear. I had a blast and spent time with all of my gear over six days. If weight or room on the ride in is not an issue then throw it all in the car and have a good time. BTW - I second the recommendation to get a nice tele zoom for the trip, you can rent one for fairly cheap.

Have fun!