1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camp Rock

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jloden, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    This past week I was at Liquid Church's Camp Rock, a creative camp for kids to come and learn music, singing, video, improv, dance, and more. I volunteered with the photo team to make sure all the kids and parents got some great photos as memories of a fun week at camp.

I mostly shot with my Nikon gear, but the GH3 + 7-14mm and 75mm also got use for most of the super wide and tight-in shots. From a photography perspective, these were extremely challenging conditions (very dark, colored stage lights, super high ceilings & large spaces, fast moving kids). The GH3 held its own when working with some of the best m4/3 glass in the 75 and 7-14, and the tilt-screen was really useful for many of the compositions I worked with. :thumbup:

Here's a handful of my favorites, all from the GH3 and 7-14mm or 75mm.

CRNBD5_P1020237 by jloden, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    CRNBD4_P1010580 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010743 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010763 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD4_P1010466 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1020186 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1020083 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD4_P1010631 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010797 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010860 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010964 by jloden, on Flickr

CRNBD5_P1010869 by jloden, on Flickr

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    That does look like a tough shoot....nicely done though.:thumbup:

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks fun Jay. Takes me back to when I used to go to those kinda things in the school holidays. I love the captured expressions

icon

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Nice work in some challenging situations but I am curious about, "I mostly shot with my Nikon gear." I have nothing against Nikon . Used it for years. But what was it about the GH3 that you couldn't have shot with it instead of your Nikon gear?

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Lots of high ISO work, grabbing focus on moving kids, heavy cropping and other extensive post processing. Not impossible on the GH3 I would say, but certainly more challenging and less headroom to work with. There are some other benefits to the larger cameras, but it's all a balancing act. By the same token the GH3 feels a lot less like a boat anchor to carry around all day :wink: and the tilt screen, touch screen focus etc. were pretty useful at times.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Jay, powerful set.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Many good images J. At the end of the day, I bet you were very appreciated. It took me a while to shoot "important" stuff with µ4/3. It was a familiarity issue, I wasn't comfortable with µ4/3 to trust it, so I shot Canon for important stuff. Now, my FF's are keeping loose papers from cluttering up the office.

Gary

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks Gary :smile:

I think the kids and parents do really appreciate and enjoy the daily photos posted to Facebook and Flickr. I'm actually heading out the door for a couple more days of Camp Rock this week (different campus this time), so wish me luck!

P.S. if I didn't already have the FF gear, I would definitely shoot the event with a pair of GH3s and make it work. :2thumbs:

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Jay,

Judging from your GH3 examples, I don't think you would have any trouble making it work.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I also have many loose papers at home, care to send some FFs down here? :biggrin:

11. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Solid shooting, well done.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Awesome set, nicely done!

13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks all :smile:

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great shots!

I work at a church, in the children's ministry and have done may similar events. Low light and fast action of live performance art can be very hard to shoot.