1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cameta Camera WTF living in the 20th Century

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jeffg53, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I want to buy an Olympus 14-35 SHG lense, so I looked around and found a refurbed one on Cameta's Ebay shop on October 27. It said that PayPal was fine so off I went. After completing the process, I got a vague error message. I then sent Cameta an email to which they responded saying that I could not use PayPal because my shipping address is not confirmed, and also telling me that confirmed addresses are a work in progress for international accounts.

Not to worry though, I can pay by credit card. Then Sandy intervenes so I have to wait a few days. I then ring them and give them my credit card details. At the time, the sales guy said that I would get an email shortly. When that didn't happen, I send another email and get a response that my order is being processed.

Fast forward another week with no email from them and I send off another query today. the response comes back that they couldn't verify my credit card, presumably because it's a non-US card, and that my only options are:

1. Certified bank check in US funds.
    2. Bank-to-bank transfer

I haven't had a performance like this in years. It's not to say that Cameta aren't good guys, they are just bloody hard to deal with if you don't live in the US.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Thats sucks.

I understand your gripe, but its not like your buying a pack of peanuts; It a 2000 dollar lens. Cameta is probably hesitant to ship something that expensive overseas. I'm not sure what CC companies offer merchant in terms of protection for overseas purchases, but im sure its not as comprehensive as the national coverage.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I agree that they probably don't get the same coverage as domestic, but why not say so up front. This is like pulling teeth. I have now asked them for bank transfer details. I wonder if they know how to supply the details for an international transfer.

If I'd gone to B&H, I would have had it by now.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you had read all of the info that Cameta provides in their auctions you would have know that they only take paypal confirmed accounts. Also that it is the bidder's responsibility to make sure they are confirmed before bidding!

I have purchased a lot of gear from them over the years and they are great for us here in the USA. Sorry that you are having problems.

5. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Tried going via their ebay listings? I've ordered stuff from them on a UK card and had it shipped to both the UK and Oz. What annoys me about them is that they only offer one shipping option, which is generally very expensive. I'd much rather wait for a cheaper shipping option, than loose all the savings from buying from abroad.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe go through Amazon? I bought quite a bit of stuff from Cameta through Amazon until I started to trust them.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    welcome to the club. I had the exact same problem with Adorama. I never asked Cameta cause they charged more in shipping than the camera y was buying. nonsense.

Go with B&H nice and smooth every single time. never had A single problem.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I'm not shamed at all. The current event has nothing to do with that. It started before Sandy anyway. It is their way of operating that I am complaining about.

9. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Really, I didn't see that. Can you point it out to me? Here's the link: Olympus 14 35mm F 2 0 F2 SWD Digital Lens for E 5 E 30 Evolt E 620 Camera USA 050332154483 | eBay

10. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I think that I hit a price limit. I have bought little bits from them without this drama before.

11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I didn't know they went through Amazon. I'll look there next time, thanks.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Me either, and I've bought some expensive gear from them in the past.

13. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I tried buying from Cameta via Amazon and it told me that Amazon wouldn't ship to my default address (Australia).

I did buy my EPM-1 from them direct using paypal though (verified address but international).

14. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I love that feature on Amazon. Fortunately, there are others on there who will send to you. The lense is over $1700 so I think I hit a cutoff point.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is under the FAQ link in their auctions. Granted there is a lot to read if one were to read everything in one of their auctions, but it is there. They should put it in the main body of the auction or at least under the "Shipping and Payments" tab.

Here is what is listed in the FAQ under "Payment Questions"

16. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. I readily confess to never reading the fine print. It's a bit of a limiter to anyone outside the US. It should be stated clearly up front. I've never had that happen to me with a PayPal transaction before and I buy bucketload of stuff using Paypal.

Cameta are in the minority in this regard, in my experience. They haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in the followup. First they accept my credit card, then they don't. It's pretty obvious that they aren't used to dealing internationally

17. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    What process were they using to verify it? I've never had a card refused for being foreign. Assuming it's a Mastercard or Visa, it should be fairly straight forward.

To be honest, I would very be surprised. They've been on ebay internationally for years, and are very popular due to being actual resellers for many lines and (shipping excluded) cheap! You can also get offical refurb stuff from then. See my other thread for what happened when I brought refurb from some less scrupulous!

18. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I was using a MasterCard, but they wanted it to be issued by an American bank. I have persisted with this only because they are so highly regarded on this forum.

I did a bank transfer to them this morning. They are painless these days. Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

19. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    I'm in Thailand. Bought a VF2 from them through ebay and everything went smoothly. Had tried to buy it earlier through their web site and was told they do not ship to Thailand. Maybe ebay gives them some kind of protection they can't get otherwise. Not sure. Made no sense to me.

I have no problems with them myself. Good company. I have bought a few items from them in the past and will do same in future. Sometimes you may have to work around some of their policies, but I think that goes for other companies as well like B&H and Adorama.

20. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And if you did you might never use paypal ever again ... not for anything over an amount you are willing to write off completely.