Cameras spotted in use on vacation

Andym72

Mu-43 Veteran
Just been on an "all over Europe" vacation, and spotted these trends:

Pocketable compact cameras are clearly dead. The "snaps only" people are using smartphones (or tablets, which still looks stupid).

The most popular actual cameras are compact superzooms.

Germans like Canon DSLRs. French and Italians prefer Nikon DSLRs. Brits have a mix of both. Far Eastern tourists prefer NEX/E Mount/what it's called this week.

Saw 4 other Olympus m43 users, 2 PENs and 2 OMDs, half European and half Far Eastern owners. And one solitary Lumix G, a GH2, that a Dutch guy had.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
Just been on an "all over Europe" vacation, and spotted these trends:
The most popular actual cameras are compact superzooms.
I have also noticed the popularity of this form factor at tourist sites I have visited recently in Spain and Ireland. I suppose it makes sense that the superzooms are at least partly surviving the downfall of compact cameras, as the lack of zoom is one of the most obvious weaknesses of smartphones.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
When I go to the art museum surprisingly I see more M43 shooters than any other touristy venue near me (Disneyland, Hollywood Walk, etc.). I've come to the conclusion people who appreciate good art also appreciate good cameras! :wink: :smile: :biggrin:

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I was in New York City for a week at the end of August and was actually surprised that Nikon out numbered Canon most places.

And yes tablets as cameras are STUPID. Do people just not realize or do they just not care that they're blocking the view for others around them? I can understand the smartphone snap shooter instead of a P&S. But really? How is an iPad or other large tablet more convenient than an ILC or small DSLR other than WOW I can post a selfie faster. (and many here questioned the E-PL7 selfie marketing :rolleyes:)

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
Having just been through the Commonwealth Games here in Glasgow, my observations are much the same - all sorts of different nationalities using compact superzooms.

Of course there was the usual smattering of FF cameras - mostly Canon. Again, not scientific merely personal observation.

When it comes to 'youngsters', they seemed quite content to use their smartphones. :thumbup:

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I was in New York City for a week at the end of August and was actually surprised that Nikon out numbered Canon most places.

And yes tablets as cameras are STUPID. Do people just not realize or do they just not care that they're blocking the view for others around them? I can understand the smartphone snap shooter instead of a P&S. But really? How is an iPad or other large tablet more convenient than an ILC or small DSLR other than WOW I can post a selfie faster. (and many here questioned the E-PL7 selfie marketing :rolleyes:)

Having just been through the Commonwealth Games here in Glasgow, my observations are much the same - all sorts of different nationalities using compact superzooms.

Of course there was the usual smattering of FF cameras - mostly Canon. Again, not scientific merely personal observation.

When it comes to 'youngsters', they seemed quite content to use their smartphones. :thumbup:

I think Nikon prices are more reasonable in the U.S. than Europe...well that's what I gather when European Nikon shooters gripe about pricing!

Super zooms are still quite popular. They're basically bridge cameras between DSLRs and mirrorless when you think about it. I can see cameras like the Panasonic FZ1000 being extremely popular with the masses.

qppoiz

Mu-43 Regular
Last year I took my family to Disney World where there was an incredibly high number of iPad photographers. I think the affectionate term for them is "padholes".
I don't remember seeing many mirrorless or DSLR cameras. Most people seem to be happy enough to use their smartphones.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
I think Nikon prices are more reasonable in the U.S. than Europe...well that's what I gather when European Nikon shooters gripe about pricing!

Super zooms are still quite popular. They're basically bridge cameras between DSLRs and mirrorless when you think about it. I can see cameras like the Panasonic FZ1000 being extremely popular with the masses.

Aye, I started my digital photography 'life' with an FZ50 which was nice but I prefer the control over lens choice I have with the m4/3 system. I saw an awful lot of Fuji bridge cameras and some Nikon ones too. Perfect for the point and shoot style of photography - it's like a 'fire and forget' missile in camera terms.

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tablets are perfect for casual family shooters, large display, easy to use, it's an 8x10 Polaroid.

Latest threads

Top Bottom