Cameras for Toddlers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by leonberdi, Nov 6, 2011.

1. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    So, my wife and I have pretty much decided on buying our 2.5 year old daughter a Vtech - Kidizoom Spin & Smile Digital Camera for Christmas. Before pulling the trigger, would any of you fine folk happen to have any experience with this camera? The reviews are awesome.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No experience with this camera, but I've seen very similar cameras and they really are just toys and not cameras (ie, the pictures don't really do much). They're very easy for the child to operate of course... but you'd be surprised at how well they can operate an Olympus Stylus Tough (ie, like the TG-310) as well, and take pictures that can actually be shown to people. The Tough cameras are pretty much indestructible for the kid, so your only worry would be them hiding it somewhere and losing it. It'll even shoot video, which can be really fun for kids to run around with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Very good suggestion Ned. I have a 2.5 y/o grandson ... the V-Tech is only a 2mp ... I've checked out the Oly Toughs and maybe that's the way to go. I'm going to check out the controls.

G

• Like Like x 1
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    We had an older version of this for our then 2 year old. It is certainly a toy, but it is very easy to grip and use for any youngster. Did not produce a lot of "keepers", but it was fun for the child and a nice intro device. One of the nice things is that the battery compartment screws closed, so the child is totally protected from parts of the camera that could cause harm. With most any type of real camera you really need to only allow supervised use.

• Like Like x 2
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Maybe for a 2.5 year old a dedicated kids camera is a good idea. But I have given our 4.5 year old an older regular compact camera, circa 2004, and he handles it just fine. I put it on the lowest possible resolution and he could take something like 3000 pictures before filling up the card. Actually, he is more interested in viewing the picture he took on the LCD screen immediately after he took it, than downloading and viewing the pictures later ... :rofl:

After a bit of practice, he has gotten quite good about framing his shots and avoiding getting his finger in front of the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I looked into the Stylus Tough and it's quite different from what I want. Actually despite the criticism of the Kidizoom being just a "toy camera"... that's what I want for my daughter. She's 2.5 years old... and surprise, surprise, she likes toys! At this stage the picture quality only would matter to me if it would matter to her (I highly doubt it). My only interest is that 1) she can enjoy taking pictures (it has a flip lens!) 2) it be easy for her to take pictures (goodbye menu navigation!) 3) she hopefully doesn't break the camera, and finally 4) I don't have to break the bank (it's about $50).

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I still have a problem getting my finger in front of the lens. Maybe the Oly Tough for my grandson and the Vtech for moi.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Get her one of the waterproof , shockproof and dustproof P&S if money is not a concern . I think below USD 199 u can easily pick up a Kodak, Fuji or panasonic camera with decent pic quality and video. She will learn fast how to take good pics. My 6 year old daughter has been handling a DLSR from age of 3 and by 4 she knew how to focus properly and fire. Now she can operate my EPL2 very confidently and takes beautiful pics.

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    My first camera looked more like this when I was around 4 or 5

[​IMG]

Do you have any old SLRs you can give them? I think they're better off with a real camera instead of a toy, even if they can't figure out how to use it properly and if it can be repurposed as a weapon.

10. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Some friends bought the VTech camera for their kids and it quickly became just another toy amongst many. When she goes around to their house to play, our 2 year old daughter makes a beeline for the VTech but tires of it quickly. However, as soon as our Kodak Easyshare C123 comes out she shouts "mine" and wanders around taking shots. The Kodak is small and (relatively) cheap and has a large albeit dull screen. Grown ups can use it too. Obviously all kids are different so YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I am also looking at getting a P&S camera for my 3-year-old, and this Kodak Easyshare C123 looks like a great choice! I think the red one would make a great X'mas gift! :thumbup:

I also considered an Oly Tough P&S before, but the price is too high, and the design probably not appealing to a kid...

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Nikon has just come out with a nice line of toy cameras ...

MousePanic.

• Like Like x 3
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :rofl:

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ahhh the J (for Junior) 1 and the V (for Very small person) 1 ... those will work.

15. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I'm a mom of twins and last X-mas they we're asking for cameras, so we bought the "kid tough" Fisher Price ones, my kids were almost 3 y/o and they did not like the pictures it took, they said they wanted a real camera!! (I guess the 2mp was not good enough). So we went on Ebay and bought 2 Pentax Optio WG-1 used for about $150 ea.

It was totally worth it, the cameras are pretty good, the kids are almost 4 y/o now and have not been able to destroy them (my son even drove over one of them with his Power Wheels jeep) And, if we're going somewhere and don't want to carry a "real" camera we just bring one of theirs!

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    It very much depends on whether you want to leave them with it. At 2.5 there is still a chance they will at least attempt to dismantle something expensive..

From the age of about 2 both of my children have shared a Canon Ixus 40 (under supervision at first) - I found one on eBay for something like £25, with a cracked screen, but purchased a new screen and replaced it myself. Total cost around the same price as the vtech. They were taught to only take photos with the strap around their neck, so there's been a couple of drops but it's never hit the floor.

They've always seen it as their camera to be like "Mummy". Also my now 8 year old son wouldn't be seen dead with a big plastic thing; but the Ixus doesn't have an age span.

Most of their pictures involve messing about pulling faces at each other in the car on the way to a trip, then about 3 when we get there!

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Except for LEGOs my kids are more interested in the packaging that the product ...

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It also comes in very bright, kid-friendly colors. ;)