Cameras are just tools...but...

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
I just didn't enjoy the experience of using other brands. Happy with OM D EM1 and EM5, and a few lenses....but I paid too much attention to posts about sensors and so forth. The touted superior IQ of Fuji. Not Fuji bashing, it's a fantastic system. But I enjoyed the OM system. Looking back through some files a few weeks back...some of my favorite photos I've taken were with OM.
Again, I know cameras are just tools, no more effective than the photographer using them. But the OM cameras are such a pleasure to use. Not to mention the razor sharp lenses. I'm not a new photographer. I started in film days. (primarily nikon film, then digital). I covered local sports for a small town newspaper for five years. Have shot weddings, portraits, family/groups portraits..etc. Not that makes me any kind of an expert, only to say, I've used cameras before.
Today, my EM1 MK II arrived, along with a 25 f/1.8. I did a few test shots, and I'm impressed. And I understand this is not even OM's best lens. But I know I made the right decision. The camera feels right...in my hands, handles easily. IQ is outstanding. Sadly, I cannot use the excuse that my equipment is limiting me. :)

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think if you can be happy with what you've got and not keep turning your eye to other alternative setups, then you're settled. It takes some people (including me) a long time going through other systems and spending lots of money to get to that stage. M43 can come mid way through that journey or at the end and its always interesting seeing the different and sometimes transitioning opinions about gear and images from everyone at this forum at various stages of that journey.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I just didn't enjoy the experience of using other brands. Happy with OM D EM1 and EM5, and a few lenses....but I paid too much attention to posts about sensors and so forth. The touted superior IQ of Fuji. Not Fuji bashing, it's a fantastic system. But I enjoyed the OM system. Looking back through some files a few weeks back...some of my favorite photos I've taken were with OM.
Again, I know cameras are just tools, no more effective than the photographer using them. But the OM cameras are such a pleasure to use. Not to mention the razor sharp lenses. I'm not a new photographer. I started in film days. (primarily nikon film, then digital). I covered local sports for a small town newspaper for five years. Have shot weddings, portraits, family/groups portraits..etc. Not that makes me any kind of an expert, only to say, I've used cameras before.
Today, my EM1 MK II arrived, along with a 25 f/1.8. I did a few test shots, and I'm impressed. And I understand this is not even OM's best lens. But I know I made the right decision. The camera feels right...in my hands, handles easily. IQ is outstanding. Sadly, I cannot use the excuse that my equipment is limiting me. :)
Did you upgrade to FW 3.0?

Before getting into m43 systems naysayers warned me against how I will lose low light capability, how pictures will be noisy, just in general things that float around internet. I still bought it and kept my FX and DX gear. Last 2-3 trips I exclusively used m43 gear and came back home extremely satisfied. Comparing the pictures of m43 against my FX/DX gear showed no inferiority at all. In fact, post processing and moving files from one location to another became easier. Some of my favorite shots have come from last 2 months of m43 usage. I will still keep other gear but anyone saying m43 isn't as good as others is just far from truth IMO.

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
Did you upgrade to FW 3.0?
I have not yet. I literally just recieved camera today. Charged battery, took some test shots. I posted here, then have been working on putting shelf together for my wife. Definitely plan to update FW.

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
Before getting into m43 systems naysayers warned me against how I will lose low light capability, how pictures will be noisy, just in general things that float around internet. I still bought it and kept my FX and DX gear. Last 2-3 trips I exclusively used m43 gear and came back home extremely satisfied. Comparing the pictures of m43 against my FX/DX gear showed no inferiority at all. In fact, post processing and moving files from one location to another became easier. Some of my favorite shots have come from last 2 months of m43 usage. I will still keep other gear but anyone saying m43 isn't as good as others is just far from truth IMO.
All i can speak to is my own experience. Ive shot with Nikon FF, and Fuji. I supposed if i pixel peeped enough, or went to 6400 and up the differences would be greater.
Yet, looking at pics from a few years back with original EM1, i have night shots of downtown Memphis that look quite good.
Im not disagreeing with technical specs. For me 4/3 looks really good. I'm very confident in the system.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I went through a period of using a Sony A7 but although the photographs produced with the 55mm were wonderful I always had that nigle in the back of my head that the GX7 was far more enjoyable to use. As illness has dictated I had to move to a lighter set up so I came back to m43 and realised for 99% of my work its good enough, can be used for longer periods and the GX80 feels far more pleasurable to use as do the EM5 and 10.

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
It's very subjective, we all just enjoy using certain brands, models over others. Nothing wrong with that at all. I just wish I had stayed with OM, but now I'm more confident of what I like, and enjoy using.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
As you said, tools.
So do as a mechanic or craftsman does, and select the best tool for the job.
Part of that is to recognize when another tool is a better option.

Example I was switching from APS-C/DX to m4/3. But, it turned out that my EM1-mk1 just did not work for shooting fast sports. So I hung on to my D7200, and use that for fast sports. Best tool for the job.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I feel the same way but for Panasonic. I've tried a couple of Fujifilm cameras X-T20 and X-E3 and while the image quality is nice and noticeably better low light noise especially at high ISO's, I still stick with Panasonic for the time being. Fuji's AF-S is not anywhere near as quick or reliable as my Panny's. Then there's the lack of IBIS on all Fuji's except for the X-H1 and no Fuji camera has a fully articulating screen which is very useful for ME personally. Even if the X-H1 had a fully articulating screen, it's still a beefy camera. I think if they made an X-T4 camera with IBIS and a fully articulating screen, I'd be all over it.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Another thing is something called "GOOD ENOUGH."
  • Do you really need 40MP, or is 20MP good enough?
  • Do you really need that PRO lens at $5,000, or is the $800 lens good enough?
  • Do you really need that f/1.2 lens at $2,000, or is the $400 f/1.8 lens good enough?
  • Do you really need that f/2.8 lens that weighs 4 pounds, or is the 2 pound f/4 lens good enough?
Part of the good enough equation is not IQ and specs, but use.
Yes the pro lens has high IQ. But if you only use it a few times a year, is it really worth spending $2,000+ on a lens that you use a few times a year.
  • Example1: I made the decision that I do not shoot enough LONG shots to justify spending on a pro 100-400mm lens. The Olympus 75-300 was "good enough" for the few times that I shoot long. This past year; 2 baseball games + 2 softball games = 4 times.
  • Example2: On the other hand, I shoot enough field sports to justify spending the money on a Nikon 70-200/4 pro lens. Buying it was expensive, but I shot it many dozens of times. Enough times that I feel the purchase was justified and well worth it.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
M43 re-opened the “pack light and go” magic of early film SLR and compact rangefinder cameras. The combination of small size, quality, and versatility of the m43 system is simply unmatched.

I love the 4:3 aspect ratio over 3:2, and if you crop APS-C to 4:3 it’s not really so much more sensor compared to m43, but the glass is still closer to 35mm size. Lose/lose score on both counts for me.

I don’t see any traces of Minolta left in Sony now and that leaves me quite sad. The E mount bodies aren’t cameras - they’re sensor boxes. It’s hard to believe this is the same company that gave us the Walk-Man. They ruined the A mount trying to emulate Canon.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Love my Panny m4/3 cameras. Tried the high quality compact route in the form of a Panny LX7, fantastic little camera, I still have it, but the files just looked a little bit brittle, or digital looking to my eye, & 12MP was just a bit on the lowish side. For me.
The GX8 was really really really close to the perfect camera, the G9 definitely is. For me.
It has just the right blend of size & ergo's for comfort in my hands, it produces lovely smooth looking, but detailed images with lovely contrast & colour if you use good lenses, & it's far from big, heavy or bulky. A very high quality point & shoot if you like, that I have zero issues with taking it any, and everywhere with me. Depending on what lenses I feel like pairing with it on the day.
Shoot whatever makes you happy, not what other people think should make you happy.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Use what makes you happy. Just back from a happy bike ride on my better and different bike. Just ask a car mechanic, which tools make him happier. Silverline or Snap-On. Whatever.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
...but....
Like all other tools the more comfortable you are with the tool in your hand the better you will feel about using it.
One of of my other hobbies is woodworking and I have some decent power tools but have picked up and used some Festool products and they are superb in use.
Now that is how I personally feel about my gripped EM1Mk2, it just feels right though the em1x feels even better now :)
Hope you enjoy the new mk2

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
I feel the same. My Lumix gx80 and Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is amazing. Absolutely love it.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Use what makes you happy. Just back from a happy bike ride on my better and different bike. Just ask a car mechanic, which tools make him happier. Silverline or Snap-On. Whatever.

definitely MAC .... :p :biggrin:

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
Right tools for the job.
Yes choice of tools are just personal preferences. Life is short. Might as well use the tools we are happy using. What camera feels best in our hands. I've tried different brands through the years. None of them ever made a great photo or a bad one. Yet, just something about OM that feels right in my hand. I like the handling, the balance. So that makes photography more fun for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom