Cameras allowing exposure bracketing increments in >1 stops?

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I’m trying to find out which Oly cams allow for exposure bracketing in greater than 1 EV increments. From some searches online, it seems the E-M1 and E-M1 II allow for up to 3 EV increments, but is every other Oly cam limited to 1 EV steps? Alternatively, do any non-E-M1 cams allow for 7-shot bracketing in 1 EV steps? Thanks!

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks. That’s what my E-M10s currently have but I was looking for an option for ±3 EVs for high contrast scenes. It looks like the most economical option would be to go Panasonic (GX85 allows 7-shot/1 EV intervals).

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The E-M1 mk1 has 3F bracketing for +/- 1, 2, and 3 EV however the 2 and 3 EV functions are hidden in the HDR menu rather than bracketing (to get +/- 3 using bracketing it would require a 7 frame bracket, there isn't an option for 3 frame bracketing to this degree).

Before you go out and buy a new camera check the HDR menu rather than the bracketing menu, it wouldn't surprise me if it has the same option hidden away.

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
The E-M1 mk1 has 3F bracketing for +/- 1, 2, and 3 EV however the 2 and 3 EV functions are hidden in the HDR menu rather than bracketing (to get +/- 3 using bracketing it would require a 7 frame bracket, there isn't an option for 3 frame bracketing to this degree).

Before you go out and buy a new camera check the HDR menu rather than the bracketing menu, it wouldn't surprise me if it has the same option hidden away.
Thanks for that! I assumed the HDR option was JPEG only based on what I read, but turns out there is an option to just shoot 3 or 5 RAW frames with a ±3 EV difference. The only downside is that it appears to lock the drive mode into High sequential, so no timer delay or 0 sec anti-shock. Doing some test shots, I'm getting sharper results from the bracketing option due to the lower camera/shutter shake, but the HDR will come in handy when I need the extra DR.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
In the settings under C. Release/(shutter icon), look for "Image stabilization" with a stacked frames icon before it (continuous shooting image stabilization), and make sure it's set to ON.
If it's set to OFF image stabilization won't function in continuous shooting, and thus HDR.

IIRC the default might be off as it can slow down the rate of frames being taken.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I have a PEN-F and a GX9. I find this Exposure Bracketing & HDR thing a bit confusing.

Both cameras allow Exposure Bracketing at for example 3 or 5 frames and max. 1 EV intervals which can be done with the electronic shutter.

Also it seems that only PEN-F can do 2 EV intervals for RAW photos from the HDR-menu, which with three frames is what for example Photomatix guide recommends.

Or can GX9 do this? Seems that Olympus is better in this regard. Even my E-M10ii can do this HDR 2 EV thing.

That HDR-menu option seems to only use mechanical shutter in the PEN-F, which is slower? It can't be used with the electronic? Which one would be better to use for landscapes, 20 fps 5 frames with electronic shutter and 1 EV intervals or 11 fps 3 frames and 2 EV intervals with the mechanical?

I think the latter would be for less storage needs, having to take two photos less? But which is faster, the 5 frames? Why can't this HDR-menu option be used with the electronic shutter?

From the sequential menu I can only adjust maximum of 11 fps, but Olympus says 20 fps is possible with the electronic shutter, with the PEN-F. It is chosen from the SCP, next to High Res Shot?

I'm also a bit confused on how IBIS ON affects the fps? It seems that it makes it somewhat slower? Should I have IBIS on for bracketed landscapes? To me it seems maybe not, because I try to have fast enough shutter speed for all the bracketed photos so stabilization might not be that important?

Should I try to have shutter speed of at least 1/200 for the middle photo? Does exposure bracketing lessen noise or help in other ways than DR?

"Silent Sequential Shooting:

In silent sequential shooting, you can shoot approximately 20.0 fps."

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/products/penf/index.cfm

"The mechanical shutter can fire as fast as 1/8000 of a second, and there’s a maximum of 11 fps sequential in High or 20 fps in H+ continuous shooting with the electronic shutter."

https://www.slashgear.com/olympus-pen-f-is-retro-rangefinder-for-the-instagram-generation-27424412/

Edit. @pdk42 sorry to bother you, but as an expert check this if you have time.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
The +/-3 stops is a nice feature if you have a Sekonic light meter and calibrate it with their Exposure II Calibration Card that uses that -3 EV, normal, and +3 EV option. Result gives you a nice S-curve to tell you how the exposure follows the EV changes. Below is the result from my E-M1 Mark II.

E-M1-Mark-II-Curve-with-Gray-Scale-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
You say sharper pics with the bracketing rather than in camera merge?
If so, me too. Way better bracketing RAW pics and HDR merge in computer with affinity.
The in camera merge is quite lame in comparison. I also find deeply underexposed pics don’t do well either. I wish I only knew more about this HDR, because when it works well, it is really good.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Someone should start an HDR thread with pics and explainations as to how and why, so we could learn from each other.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I’m trying to find out which Oly cams allow for exposure bracketing in greater than 1 EV increments. From some searches online, it seems the E-M1 and E-M1 II allow for up to 3 EV increments, but is every other Oly cam limited to 1 EV steps? Alternatively, do any non-E-M1 cams allow for 7-shot bracketing in 1 EV steps? Thanks!
Even my 2012 E-PM2 allows 2 and 3 stop exposure bracketing (and all sorts of other bracketing).

I had to go back to my FTs E-510 (2007) to find a body that only allowed a maximum 1 EV stops.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Even my 2012 E-PM2 allows 2 and 3 stop exposure bracketing (and all sorts of other bracketing).

I had to go back to my FTs E-510 (2007) to find a body that only allowed a maximum 1 EV stops.

Yeah, but I'm asking why that HDR-menu option (not HDR1 or HDR2, and not the Exposure Bracketing which has 1 EV max) with 2 & 3 EV brackets doesn't seem to work with the faster electronic shutter, but only mechanical. And if there is something one can do about it.

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I think that you need to understand how the fully electronic shutter works in order to answer your question. Here:

https://www.lightstalking.com/electronic-shutters-vs-mechanical-shutters/

This will start you off.

I'd rather get a fast explanation than start to study this thing in depth.

The exposure bracketing with 1 EV works for sequential high silent shutter with my PEN-F, so can it work with HDR-menu option with 2 EV difference? I don't understand why would it work with 1 EV bracketing but not 2 EV.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Would you like me expound on my thoughts on relativity, quantum mechanics and the big bang theory in 300 words or less? :rofl:

What is this? My question has nothing to do with "rocket science". It's a very simple question, with likely a simple answer.

I'm pretty sure your link doesn't explain why exposure bracketing works with silent shutter only with 1 EV difference, and not 2 EV. And I can only assume you can't explain it either because of how you respond to me.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
What is this? My question has nothing to do with "rocket science". It's a very simple question, with likely a simple answer.

I'm pretty sure your link doesn't explain why exposure bracketing works with silent shutter only with 1 EV difference, and not 2 EV. And I can only assume you can't explain it either because of how you respond to me.
No comment.

I am, and always have been, willing to help those who are prepared to attempt to help themselves ...

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
No comment.

I am, and always have been, willing to help those who are prepared to attempt to help themselves ...

Get off your high horse and either discuss the things, or go somewhere else. I have studied this matter for a while, and still had to ask more questions about it here.

You're not willing to help even if you know something, so why are you in this thread?

Your link does not explain these things. I know most of the differences about mechanical and electronic shutter. This is not about that, unless you can explain how it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom