1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cameraless

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ptolemyx, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The EVF on my EM5 is kaput, so it's off to repair. I never did buy a backup body, and it's not in the cards right now, so I'm twiddling my thumbs until I get it back.

Can anyone in Canada tell me how long it took them to receive a repaired camera once it was received by the service center? I sent mine to Trinitek in Ontario.

I'm betting it's not going to be cheap. I'm also worried about the fact that I used Sugru to reattach one of the control dial caps; if they have to take that off to get inside, it might get ugly. :-(

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ouch. It is important to have a backup.
    We used to have a 3-week maximum turnaround in Canada back when we had an actual Olympus factory here, but they've removed that factory now and consolidated everything to the US. :( Dunno how long it'll be now.

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I just called the service center, and they said 5-7 business days! So that's not bad... if it's true. :)

I have to admit, I'm pretty irritated that a bit of humid weather killed the EVF on my weathersealed camera. If it wasn't otherwise a spectacular piece of equipment I'd probably be eyeing up the X system by now.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Maybe one of those $99 E-P1's ? They're like an old Mini or VW - they'll never go out of fashion :)

5. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I've sent things to Trinitek a couple of times. My OMD took about a week and a half waiting for parts and a day to fix & return. For my lens they had the parts and I think they actually fixed it and shipped it back the day after they got it.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Oh no... are they sending your stuff to Precision? If I was out of warranty, I'd suggest finding another place if it's going to Precision. Not nearly the quality of service and repair as they used to have, maybe in a few years after they get more experienced techs, but they moved their operations to Texas and Mexico, and canned, or retired out all the long time employee's (the camera magicians and technical experience) they had. The last couple things I've had done with them did not go so well, like a simple aperture ring spring that wore out in an FD lens that took 3 months to get back, and then they forgot to put the bearing back in...

7. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Those X cameras are pretty sweet, however, they are less weather resistant than your EM5

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    For all that is said about the weather sealing of the E-M5 being like the E-5 -- the E-5 didn't have an EVF. It's the weak link from what I can tell.

In the rain, I had the eyepiece off of my E-M5 and my thumb on the EVF window when I wasn't shooting to keep it warm so it didn't fog up INSIDE. I was not impressed with that, but it never killed my EVF although I always wondered if it would eventually.

Overall, it was a great camera in the rain and I'm sorry yours did fail.

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    How is the EVF not weather sealed? I thought the entire camera was; what's the point, otherwise? :)

10. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    True... but I don't really shoot in the rain, and I'd expect any camera to be able to deal with a bit of humidity. Especially the EM5! :-(

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My thought as well. If the EVF isn't weather sealed then, for example, you couldn't use it in the rain.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You know what, forget what I said there. I don't know what I was talking about. I mean literally, I looked back at that and I don't even know what I was thinking about. I was scratching my head going "wtf?" at myself. Too much on my mind today, lol. :cool:

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Seriously, this is a "dirt cheap" backup. No evf, but in a pinch it's still a pretty good camera.

14. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    This happens to me probably more often than it happens to you lol. :smile:

I'll read this later and be like wtf?

There are lots of great deals to be had for used bodies now, and if you get a good deal you can sell it when you get your primary back. If that's your cup of tea.

I tried to pretend like I didn't need/want a second body, but that didn't work out. :cool:

15. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Oops, not quite Cameraless after all!

OM-2 this morning:

16. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Is this the black dial cap with the silver edge that is on the right side of the EVF and lines up with the "OM-D" on the front?

I had that cap pop off in the field, as well as the equivalent cap on the battery grip (exact same cap & arrangement). I was out shooting in the woods both times it happened and was luck enough to realize it and to be able to go back and find it each time.

I don't know what Sugru is, but I put mine back on with a dab of rubber cement... but I am worried that they are going to pop off again and that this time I will not be so lucky.