Camera upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffmatt, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jeffmatt

jeffmatt New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2018
    I have recently joined this forum and it looks like there is a lot of good information here. I currently have an Olympus Pen E-PL2 which I have had for about 6 years. I have recently decided that I wanted to learn more about photography (in general) and take it up as my hobby and was planning on at least starting with this camera. So I have been actively taking pictures for a couple of months now and experimenting with different settings. A couple of weeks ago, after I completed a basic photography class, I noticed that my camera had an error message indicating that something was wrong with the built in image stabilization. I had it looked at by my local camera shop and an Olympus rep and they were not able to clear it. The camera appears to be working fine now, but I am concerned that there might be major failure in the future that would render the camera in-operable. If I were to send it back to Olympus it is my understanding that the minimum charge to fix it would be between $200 & $250 and it does not make sense to put that much money into an old camera.

I would like suggestions and comments on a replacement camera. I am considering the following:
    1. OM-D E-M10 Mark II
    2. OM-D E-M10 Mark III
    3. OM-D E-M5 Mark II
    4. Used OM-D E-M5 Mark II

I would like to keep my cash outlay to under $1,000.
    Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jeff

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome to the forum!

If you are interested in nicer video, the EM10iii is the only one that has 4K.

The sensor on all your three choices is pretty much the same. I believe the image stabilization on the EM5ii is better than the EM10ii. Not sure about EM10iii. Auto focus is the same contrast detection AF.

To make your life more complicated, another very capable camera to consider in your price point is the Panasonic G85. Its continuous auto focus is better than your three choices when combined with Panasonic lenses, and it has better video too. Or even the Panasonic GX85, which is more of a rangefinder shaped camera like your EPL2, but with an electronic viewfinder.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have an E-P2 that gives me that IS showing up in my viewfinder indicating a failure of the image stabilization system. It is an IR converted camera so someone did have to remove the IR-cut filter from in front of the sensor, so perhaps that caused the issue. But I have been using it that way for a couple years now without problems. Since that camera is for infrared, shooting it always outside during the day and usually with normal to wide focal length lenses. so not having IS is not an issue. But just to let you that failure of the IS system is not necessarily an indication of a larger more devastating failure with the rest of the camera.

As to your consideration list of replacements, yes, ALL OF THEM are great cameras and if you are still learning, then I can not imagine any of them not being well beyond what you need. I know having had my E-M1 for years now it STILL is way more camera than my skills and abilities.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you want to buy new, the E-M10 II would be a great affordable camera. It has a lot of features and a good stabilizer. It's also an OMD. If you can snatch a used E-M10 II all the better. The E-M10 II uses the BLS type battery, while the E-M5 II uses the BLN type battery if you're looking for battery interchangeability.

5. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    W E L C O M E
    I just wanted to say that. I’ll post some thoughts a bit later.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Welcome, I'd look at the E-M10 mkII.

The mkIII is an upgrade for video but they also removed/simplified some things as well. Yes either would be an upgrade to you're E-PL2, but if your aim is get more into photography than I would skip the mkIII. The E-M5 mkII is surely an option as well, but it's a more expensive option. So depending on what glass you have you might be better served with the cheaper body and another lens.

7. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you want to stay with a rangefinder body I would also suggest looking at the GX85. If you want a rangefinder and want to stay with an Olympus body than I'd look at the E-PL7 or maybe and E-P5.

I'll add that if you think you'll move into video and/or you have younger kids I might lean toward a Panasonic body. They lean more toward video than Olympus bodies do and their stills from 4k video is a great option for little kids. It's dead simple in camera to grab 8mp stills on the GX85/G85.

8. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Another vote for the EM10 Mk2, or the EPL7 if you're not bothered about an EVF.

9. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    The EM10 is not weathersealed. Is that a consideration?

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    All those are fine cameras, but I personally like the option of a used em1.1. It’s Weather sealed, and can use legacy glass due to having pdaf on the sensor. If that’s not an option if you can find a used em5ii then that’s the route I’d go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeffmatt

jeffmatt New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2018
    No I do not think so. It is my understanding that the only lens that are weathersealed are the pro lenses and I think I will be sticking with the mid level glass and not go all the way to the pro level. So I guess what i am saying is that if that was a major consideration both the body and lens should be weather sealed. Is that a correct assumption?

12. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There are several weather sealed mid level lenses, but not primes I believe.

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    With a budget of under $1,000, I would strongly recommend a used E-M5 II. Good ones are in the $500 - $600 range. And, you'll have money left over to buy a decent lens.

14. Phil Tuggle

Phil Tuggle New to Mu-43

Feb 7, 2018
    I have the M10 Mark II and am completely happy with it photo-wise, especially the almost magical (nah...ABSOLUTELY magical) live time and live composite features. The video goes to full HD with 60fps but frankly could be a wee bit better in staying in focus if you use continuous focus of faster action. The 5-axis stabilization is phenomenal, providing great hand-held performance even in overcast conditions.

My only "regret" is not getting a M5 Mark II, which has added features of High-Resolution Mode and is weather/dust proof. I do not know about video performance on that one.

The reviews indicate the Panasonic advice is great, too, if you want outstanding video performance. Hard choice ahead -- Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    The 12-50 and 14-150 MKII are weathersealed.

16. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Does it show with all lenses?