Camera -> Twitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam, May 18, 2010.

1. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    So this afternoon, a photo I took had a brush with fame, being picked up by a popular hyperlocal food blog. It was slightly embarassing...the photo is of a dark red awning on a cloudy day and was taken on my Blackberry...no cell phone camera in the world can properly expose a shot like that. I'd have rather taken the shot with my GH1, but I had no way of getting the shot on Twitter without significant effort.

Does anyone have any ideas for how one would get a picture from an mFT camera to the internet using only 3G service? Could I take the micro SD card from my Blackberry (or Droid...I'm upgrading in July), put it in an SD adapter, use that to take the shot in JPEG on my real camera, then put the card back in my Blackberry and upload? Is there a simpler way?

(This is something I'd do frequently if I could, so I don't mind spending a bit of money on it if I have to)

(And I do know about the Eye-fi, it only works with wifi and supposedly isn't that good...)

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Good question Adam and I hope someone will jump in here with some helpful advice.

3. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I tried a cheap micro SD card and an adapter. It works, by which I mean I can take a picture on the camera and open it on the BlackBerry. It's not a great solution...micro SD cards are way too small to be swapping in the field. But it'll work until I come up with something better...

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    3G iPad:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  5. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I said a bit of money :)

(3G iPad is a possibility, but not this year.)

• Like Like x 2
  6. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I dunno about a blackberry, but with some smartphones it'd be possible (in theory) to tether the camera using an eye-fi pro. But I've not got an eye-fi so I've not tried it. And it'd certainly not work out of the box, would need some hacking about.

Do any phones support usb OTG? I know the (upcoming) Nokia N8 does - you can just connect it to your camera with the usb cable (or use a card reader for the SD card) and upload that way.

Or if you have an exposed microSD slot, you could use this plus a card-reader/cable:

Mobidapter - All About Symbian Review

But it looks pretty fragile to me.

• Like Like x 2