Camera Straps

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I know this is all about preference, but I've been looking and looking for something old school in leather that grabs my eye for my silver Olympus E-M10. I just made the jump from Canon DSLR's (7D & 5D) where a wide strong strap was needed to carry the weight comfortably and now I'm wanting to move to a more retro thinner leather type strap.
I have looked at Gordy's, Tap & Die and a few others and would like to here from people that use this type of strap on a daily basis.

I'm looking for a Neck/Shoulder strap and suggestions would be great and links a huge help

Thanks

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
That's a sweet looking strap, but at $157 USD it's a little more than I'm willing to spend.

Thanks for posting...

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I didn't mention it in my 1st post, but I'm looking for a Neck/Shoulder strap.

Thanks anyway...

aks6674

Mu-43 Veteran
I like the leash and cuff myself. Super easy to switch between, easy to stash. Leash isn't as comfy as a leather neck strap, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thin and leather are not necessarily what comes to mind when I think vintage and retro camera straps. Most that I recall were cotton/polyester blend in color patterns and were fairly wide to stay on shoulders. The best "thin" straps I've used are the original Domke 1 inch gripper straps with swivels and the nylon Leica OEM. Artist and Artisan makes a silk cord style strap that is very nice but pricey which is why I haven't purchased one yet. Part of the problem I've had with leather cowhide based straps is that they don't necessarily lay well and thus don't wrap around my wrist easily. Smooth leather also doesn't stay on my shoulders very well either.

However, I do also use some wider straps when I intend on carrying the cameras by shoulder for long periods of time (usually without a bag). These straps are from Riley G Designworks' Dapper series. They are the "affordable" line ($70), great quality, and good selection of styles. More importantly, they are wide and have a sued backing so they stay on your shoulder. I also mentioned the Dapper series specifically because they are made from the lightest weight materials and do not have the heavier accents. This makes them roll tighter, lay easier, and IMO more comfortable around the neck than their other series. I have three but one is from the "tapestry" series is a little thick to wear around my neck. (looks great though and comfortable on shoulder).. the other two are from the Dapper series.

http://www.rileygdesignworks.com/the-dapper-series/

No doubt the topic is definitely a one dependent on personal preference.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I still have my Black Rapid RS4 strap from my Canon DSLR kit, but it's kinda bulky for the small E-M10.

I found these that look very nice, but without handling/trying them I have no way of telling if I would like them around my neck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010075-REG/olympus_260312_strap_neck_e_z_adjustable.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170875939671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181357187249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

FullyOMD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Just bought myself a Barton Leather Neck Strap 1972 Braided in black. Found a family run camera store in London that sells them, rather than importing them from HK.

pinoyborian

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Sisican
Just bought myself a Barton Leather Neck Strap 1972 Braided in black. Found a family run camera store in London that sells them, rather than importing them from HK.

Where is it, if you dont mind? I found one online in Red Dot Cameras for £60. I like it but is on my wish list for now as I've been buying lots of photo stuff lately, not least the EM10 :) and lots of lenses i want to buy.

FullyOMD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Yep, that's the one. I went down to the shop and picked it up. Amazing place... Some incredibly expensive camera's in there. I didn't know they only open 1st and 3rd Saturday in the month, so had a wasted trip the first time I went down!

RachelleK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rachelle
The Upstrap and Peak Design are both very nice..

Thanks

Another vote for Peak Design's Leash. I often find that I would like to switch between a neck strap and a hand strap. The connection they have makes this very easy and the connections themselves are unobtrusive. You can sometimes find them at a lower price than their own website.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I went ahead and ordered a Peak Designs Leash... I liked the idea of the short QD's and the versatility of the strap along with the small footprint when stored in my bag.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
The PeakDesign Leash strap is the best strap I've ever owned thanks to the brilliantly inventive quick connect/disconnect feature. I bought extra connectors for my other cameras so that I can very quickly switch the strap between cameras.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/leash

So do you folks using the PeakDesign Leash feel the quick connect/disconnect feature is really secure? I would like to switch quickly between a shoulder strap and a wrist strap. There's just something about that system that looks like it might not be secure. But I'm saying that based only on pictures.

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
So do you folks using the PeakDesign Leash feel the quick connect/disconnect feature is really secure? I would like to switch quickly between a shoulder strap and a wrist strap. There's just something about that system that looks like it might not be secure. But I'm saying that based only on pictures.

I have both the Leash and Cuff and don't have any concerns about it becoming disconnected or anything. I love and use them both and like the versatility. The straps are very smooth and with a tiny little E-M10 on the leash you barely feel like you're wearing a camera at all.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agreed on the leash and cuff. The system clicks positively and I can't see it coming undone by mistake.

Latest threads

Top Bottom