1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, May 14, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I really don't like the standard camera straps that come with the Pen series of cameras. A couple of times I've just about lost the Pen 2 when leaning over and the strap just sliding off my shoulder. I wanted to get another UpStrap, but unfortunately the manufacturer no longer appears to make one that doesn't have quick releases and I'll have no strap that uses these.

A search on eBay revealed the following strap, which I just received today (Ultra Comfortable Neoprene Neck Strap for Camera DSLR - eBay Straps, Bags, Cases Straps, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 06-Jun-10 19:14:13 AEST)

It doesn't feel too bad at all, the wide part of the strap is made from a combination of wetsuit neoprene and sticky rubber that actually has some stretch in it, to absorb jolts etc. It's a lot gippier than the strandard strap, bit not nearly as grippy as an UpStrap (pity they can't make one suitable for these new cameras). But at about $11 delivered, one can't really complain.

Cheers

Ray

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I haed one of these but it went with my E-3. Recommended. I also picked up a free version in a Smugmug promotion om another site which I still have for my G1. They are very comfortable and grip as Ray says.

3. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I have a simple Optech strap that I found in a local camera store. It has no quick release clips, just a simple strap that I find really comfortable and relatively non-slip. I've since found it listed under Binocular straps; seems that camera users want accessories rather than simplicity :smile:

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Not sure what you mean. I just want something that works, simple or complex, I don't care.

Cheers

Ray

5. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    What I meant was Optech list a range of straps for cameras but all appear to have different options, quick release clips, different webbing widths, etc. The binocular straps, on the other hand are plain and simple - no frills, just a strap.

6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Am in agreement with Ray on the strap, I received that very strap with 2 lenspens (Ebay) for OLYMPUS in white on the top and yes its "grippy"

I too got the "SmugMug" strap Bill mentioned for free, its actually a very good strap especially for a DSLR or the G1

But Hey if Luigi's hand made Leather straps grab you more then go for it .. its gonna look real cool sipping a latte in Ackland st. :biggrin:

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  8. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Domke 1" Gripper attached to my GF1 - and find that it is the perfect fit between form and function. The black balistic material is solid and looks great with the GF1 body. It also has quick release clips

Many people have noted that the GF1 is not ergonomically designed for holding in the hand. I've compensated by wrapping this strap around my wrist several times when shooting to ensure that if the body slips, I'm not out many $$'s worth of camera equipment.

Although I do lust after the rally half case that Luigi has for the GF1 ...

9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I use an optech strap kinda similar to the one that Ray's showing though it has a quick release mechanism. I like the neoprene padding that grips rather than slips on my shoulder. I never carry my camera around my neck for some weird reason - it's either over my shoulder or wrapped a couple of times around my wrist. Hate looking like 'camera guy' when I'm walking about I guess :)

10. Bill H

Bill H Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I just got the rs-pf strap for my GF1. I use other upstraps on my Large DSLR bodies and love them. I got the smallest and lightest one I could. I use the GF1 for street photography and I want it at the ready on my shoulder I love this product it doesn't slip off my shoulder. I also don't wear it around my neck so this strap works well for me.