Camera Strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Muntjack, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Can anyone recommend a good strap for my E-P2?

I like to carry my cameras strung across my body as that feels more secure and it helps to stop 'bouncing' - and not all straps seem long enough to do this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Any of the sling straps are good for that. Luma Loop makes one that's sized for m43 (most are made for DSLRs and are kind of overkill for m43 gear). Black Rapid has one with an integrated small case that's really nice and you can take the case off and just use the strap when you want to do that - its called the snap-R. Lots of other slings out there - the common feature/function is that they all strap across your body rather than just hanging from your neck and allow the camera to slide up and down the strap, so it doesn't bounce. Its the only kind of strap I use other than a wrist strap.

3. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    I've used Black Rapids strap for a few years for my dSLRs and it works great. I've had two spinal surgeries and can't stand using a regular neck strap. It may seem overkill as Ray mentioned, but it is a godsend. I use the QR plate off my tripod to attach.
  4. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I have the Luma Loop-it and love it!
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    A couple I use that I would recommend:

Black Rapid SnapR 35
    SnapR Bag / Strap ยป
    This is a convertible setup - you can use as a regular camera bag, or use the strap as a sling strap, or just use one end for a wrist strap. It actually works quite well in all setups and the bag, when used, is a perfect fit for an e-p2 w/ beefier lens (plus two little side pockets for batteries or filters).

Gordy's Sling
    gordy's camera straps
    I love Gordy's wrist straps and I also use his sling strap. Something about the look and leather feel is nicer than other straps. I also like this sling because the camera moves along the strap with some resistance from the leather... on the Black Rapid it moves extremely easily, which is can be annoying if you are moving a lot or doing something like scrambling over some rocks while hiking. The other option from Gordy would be to get his adjustable camera strap and make it long enough that, when fully extended, you could use bandolier style.
  6. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010

Continually amazed at the knowledge and quick advice offered by the brilliant members on this site. Thanks for all these suggestions which I shall explore.

I noticed also that someone on another site recommends the Leica M Carrying Strap as being perfect for rangefinder style bodies??

Thanks again,

7. TomFama

TomFama New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2011
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just got my phatstrap in the mail
    Brown corduroy with custom logo stictchibg. It matches my car!

Attached Files:

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Looks awesome, man!
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Your car is brown corduroy! Man, I have GOT to roll with you sometime. That sounds cool!
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Lol! No but it's brown and has saddle leather similarly colored as the stitching. The logo is the emoticon for my one eyed boston terrier, Gonzo
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Lots of sling straps already mentioned. I would caution you though that you don't need heavy duty hardware and a wide strap -- those are for big DSLRs and way too much for M43. A 1" strap without any padding works just fine. As to the camera connection hardware, smaller is better. IMHO the Luma Loop-it is one of the better commercially-available options.

One controversy that you'll have to resolve for yourself is whether to attach to the 1/4" x 20 tripod hole or to one of the strap lugs.

More than you ever wanted to know in Ray S's thread here: