1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Camera strap for fast movements

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TonyZhang, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi everybody,

I am after a camera strap for my Panasonic g6. Is anyone here aware of a strap that meets all 3 of these requirements?

1) Has a quick release system, like the one of the Peak design Leash strap, this is a massive time saver and a must.

2) Must be relatively small, the biggest my camera will be when on the strap is when the Pana/Leica 25mm is mounted with the hood. A sleek unobtrusive strap would be ideal, however, with that being said, function always comes before form.

3) This is a more difficult one. The strap, when mounted diagonally across my shoulder with my camera, does not move around during fast/somewhat sudden movements. Usually when I go skateboarding, the camera always stays in the backpack until it is needed, however being able to have a strap that prevents the camera flying all over the place when I am cruising around on my skateboard would be wonderful. Obviously with the precious cargo across my shoulder, I would not be doing any tricks but I would still like to be able to skate around at normal speeds, perhaps 10-15km/h maximum when my camera on my shoulder. With the stock strap I have to keep a hand on the camera and always be wary of my strap potentially slipping off my shoulder. Switching to a camera/lens combo with a much flatter profile will definitely help, but I do not have the money for that right now.

If you have any suggestions or opinions, please let me know. :)

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, for #3, you'll want a strap with a slide adjustment (I have the Joby Ultrafit which works well but does not meet your #1).

Have you looked at the Peak Design Slide? It's Pre-Order now if you didn't get in on the crowdfunding.
    I'm thinking of getting one as the Joby isn't convertible; I like to use it in sling mode most of the time, but when shooting street, I prefer a neck strap; the PD Slide should be convertible.

Barry

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The strap system I use meets all your requirements but unfortunately it is one I made and I don't know of any commercial system that is similar. Maybe you will take on the project of making your own, too.

1) My quick release system is based on QR rifle sling swivels, but you can buy Optech plastic hardware: http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Mini-Loops/dp/B004N623WK

2) I just made a strap from paracord specifically because I wanted unobtrusive just like you do. Here is the prototype:
    P1060680-LoRes-01.
    The final version has camo-pattern paracord with a lightweight stainless cable threaded inside for cut-resistance. Commercial strap suppliers usually want to target a broader range of cameras, heavier weights in other words, and will have shoulder pads that I don't need and it sounds like you don't need either.

3) I don't think any strap can keep your camera from swinging as you move. Basically you have a pendulum after all. You will have to add some sort of clip to attach your camera to your belt. Again, mine is home-made, small and light. The Peak product (https://peakdesign.com/store/capture) seems to be popular here, though there are others.

Also, here is a video describing a home-made clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6YNBDZRaA

One problem with these clips on a hip is that when you sit down, on a bench for example, your camera lens hits first. What is needed is for the clip to have a hinge so that you can lift the camera horizontal before sitting. Otherwise you will have to remember to take the camera out of the belt clip.

Here is a photo of an early version of my belt clip before I got the hinging worked out. It has the same problem as the others. You can't sit down with the camera in the clip. (For this clip, the camera just got pushed out of the clip since there is no positive retention. I don't worry about positive retention because I always have the camera on a strap. Positive retention is a feature of all the commercial designs I've seen, though.)

Camera_Clip3.

HTH

4. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have the Peak Design Leash and like it a lot. I've also thought about how to make it more secure when moving about (bushwalking, rock scrambling etc) but haven't tried my ideas yet but...

Use the leash as normal over your shoulder. Attach a D-ring screw to the tripod mount and secure a 3rd anchor link to it. Sew a short strap (with some stretch?) to a spare quick connector and attach to your belt. Connect the anchor linc to the quick connector. Go skateboarding.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-D-Ring-Screw-Stainless-Steel-For-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-Quick-Release-Plate-/261406920927?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cdd1110df

https://peakdesign.com/store/anchor-links

Alternatively and much simpler/cheaper...
    Use the Leash as normal. Tie a bit of shock cord to your belt with a small loop at the end. Wrap the loop around your lens. Go skateboarding.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sounds like what I used to use....

A DIY sling style strap (similar to Black Rapid) using nylon strap and buckles with a quality carabiner. I then used a lens (or accessory?) pouch with a belt loop as a "holster" of sorts to put the camera in when not in use resting on my side (strap still cross body). I modified the pouch (I have a sewing machine) with an elastic strap to keep the camera in the pouch/holster but still allow me to access the camera with a single hand. The pouch kept the camera from swinging around when in motion... I could run with it. No problems. When it was time, I would un-holster the camera and swing the camera forward on the sling to eye-level.

I used it for several years until the elastic lost strength and never replaced the strap. I also felt a bit awkward in public with a holstered camera as if it were a weapon...

6. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thanks everybody for your opinions. The problem is, I constantly have a quick release plate on the tripod mount of my camera as it is needed for me to quickly slide my camera in and out of a video rig which I made. I think that the leash by Peak design may still be my best option, and as far as keeping it steady during commute, I may just shorten/tighten the strap, it is made out of smooth sliding seat belt like material for when I want to shift the camera up. If things are still problematic I'll have to figure out some home remedy :)

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm using a BlackRapid Snapr 35 (http://www.blackrapid.com/products/snapr-35). Examples of the E-M5 with PL25 (excuse the sucky selfies)...

The main strap is reasonably tight, there's no way that it will come off by accident. There is a stopper on the main strap, so the camera will not move backwards beyond this position:
    20141107_202134.

Note that the strap is attached to the camera using the metal strap lug, which leaves the tripod socket free for a tripod quick release plate:
    PB070065.

The camera can slide up for use:
    PB070063.

Or detach completely. The other bit is a little wrist strap that also comes with it, it can go on instead of the main strap.
    20141107_204131.

• The camera still swings forward when I lean forward, unfortunately. To stop that would probably require a DIY solution like a carabiner loop attached to the other strap lug which clips into your belt.
    • I normally ditch the bag that comes with the Snapr, and just use the strap.
    • I also ditch the tripod screw mount, and attach the strap straight to the strap lug on the camera body. Much more secure and leaves the tripod socket free.
    • It comes with security velcro fasteners that bind the quick release clips together if you you're feeling paranoid. I've never had a problem in a year of use though, and this includes hiking on the Great Wall, and dense Chinese crowds.
    • I'm pretty sure the Snapr 10 and Snapr 20 (which have smaller bags) have the same strap, so if you want just the strap, they are quite a bit cheaper than the Snapr 35 ($58, $68, $78 respectively from Photo Warehouse).

Photo Warehouse stock them, so you can get one in store and go try it out.

8. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Gordy's strap or sling with the new quick connect system.

9. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I use the spider holster pro. This is what I use for my Canon dslr. You can buy the smaller version for smaller cameras. This is where you can use an elastic band and roll your factory strap so it doesn't catch on anything. The system can lock or keep it so that you can pull the camera off the clip instantly.

This system is liberating because you dont have it tethered to your body. You have the system on your belt. I use this setup since it was first introduced to the market.

The only time I use a neck strap is when I shoot weddings or events where I have one camera on my neck and secondary body on my spider holster.

I have a black rapid strap but the irritating thing about that system is that it swings like a pendulum if you dont hold the camera with your hand. Also the shoulder pad moves off your shoulder your "bump stop" will have a different orientation so you camera will move around. Maybe not so much with a small camera but for dslr's the black rapid system is extremely irritating for me to use. I use to use that BR strap in conjunction with my spider holster when I did car show events 3 days straight when I used my heavy 100-400 lens with boat anchor canon 1dmk3.

If you dont like the spider holster....i'd be suprised.....

10. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Peak Design have plates where you can attach anchor lincs to. It should work with your video rig as well.

https://peakdesign.com/store/?c=accessories

11. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I use a Blackrapid strap with quick release for the camera and a clip holding the strap to my belt so it won't swing. I don't know if it qualifies as relatively light, but I think it's comfortable.

http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/qr-straps/

12. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Many thanks for all the replies! It's been very helpful. That blackrapid snapr looks like a very good option. In the end, I think it'll be either that or the Leash by Peak design depending on what I prefer when I get time to test the blackrapid out.

I never knew about the capture pro plates by Peak design, the capture pro v2+micro plate looks perfect for my rig, however given the price, I'm struggling to justify buying it given the fact that I already have a Giottos system. Though Peak does state that the Desmond DAC-01 clamp works with the micro plate, and could prove to be a better solution to my rig given it's smaller profile.

13. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Blackrapid has also replacement screws for tripod plates (RC-2 for Manfrotto IIRC) that turn said plates into attachment points for their straps via the carbiner. (LINK). This turns the system into a quick release. You're welcome :)

14. Pedrostirton

Pedrostirton New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2014
    Go for Black rapid...

15. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The Luma loop vs3 might suit your needs. It's as great strap.

The black rapid designs all seem to be loose and allow a lot of movement. I also don't like the amount of neutral in the QR. I also am nir a fan of big companies that patent old ideas.