1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by RVJ, Sep 22, 2015.

1. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks cool, but 500g weight limit. Will only work for very light m4/3 setups.

3. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Olympus bodies solved that problem. My EM5 II works wonders in my videos =)

4. tkbslc

Shame the quality is so muddy on Olympus video.

5. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    The EM5 II has made vast improvements in their video vs previous models. It's def not GH4, but what is? Search around the net and look up videos done with the EM5 II (Vimeo, Youtube).
    There have been some really good shorts produced. Lighting, filters (magic bullet), frame rate, lens, etc., will help you give that filmic look. It works above and beyond for my needs.

Are you making a feature film?

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just shot a two-camera shoot with the E-M5 ii, the video was nice.

7. tkbslc

I'm sorry, but once you have been using Panasonic, it just isn't the same. It looks hazy. I don't doubt you can make nice video with it, but Panasonic video looks as crisp as stills.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The second camera was a GX8.

9. tkbslc

Ok. You think they look on par then?

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have clips open in FCPX as we speak. I like the Olympus clips. I had the O45 on and my friend had the P35-100 on his GX8. We used a Tascom audio recorder. The event was a TED-style talk.

I can't wait until Olympus introduces 4K. IMO IBIS eliminates the need for a rig unless you need 4K.

Post-Script: the E-M5 ii is a better video option than earlier OMD models.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    EM 5 holds it own against Pany - GH4 being the exception ( I was using a G3). I mainly shoot family vids or small personal projects. Looking back at older videos vs new ones taken with the EM5 II I prefered the Olympus plus there was no camera shake. I use 25 1.4 and Nocticron and not having that camera shake, being able to walk with the camera, etc., makes it worth it to me.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The cameras all have their strengths. I expect to use a combination of GH4/GX8(my friend's)/E-M5 ii for the foreseeable future.

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I don't shoot video but this shot with an E-M5 Mk.II looks pretty impressive to me. Would never have guessed it was shot with an Olympus camera if it wasn't an Olympus promo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, just think of all of the gear that you would need for each segment of that video before the E-M5 ii. I am finding the E-M5 ii to be very liberating.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  15. tkbslc

alright, E-M5 II is better than the Olympus I am used to seeing. I'll admit it.

I still think Panasonic has an edge, especially now that they do 4K even on the lower end G7.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I watched this video several times before I purchased the EM5 II. The making of at the end is phenomenal as well. Great camera all around!
    A lot goes to show it matters who is behind the camera vs the camera itself.

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I was in your boat a year ago. I was scared to leave Pany to Olympus. But I wanted my video stabilized. There is software in FCPX, Sony Vegas, Adobe Pre, etc., but I wanted to freedom
    to move about without zooming on my footage and losing quality in post. I am really anxious to see what the Em1 II will bring. 4k would be cool, I just don't know if Ill need that. Although
    the downres to 1080p from 4k is gorgeous. I don't even own a 4k TV yet.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, particularly if you are working from a tripod or have a good rig.

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    True that.

20. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Not a big videographer with my EM-1, but was looking half heartedly for stabilisers that could be used with a GoPro - found this on Kickstarter which looks remarkably tiny and a good idea for both Gopros and any camera with an output (sadly not the gopro session that I was looking for :()

Might be of interest for some of you guys?

Ignore me if not, please.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1091165875/steadxp-the-future-of-video-stabilization