1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Sling- decent price, quality looks ok

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 22, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nope.

We have a definition problem here. What dsptch is selling is nothing more than a long conventional neck strap. This illustrates the issue that the word "sling" is somewhat ambigiuous as applied to camera straps.

When the camera on the dsptch strap is brought to eye level the whole strap moves.

The more common understanding (IMHO) of a "sling" strap is of a strap that remains stationary when the camera is brought to eye level. This is done by attaching the camera to the strap via some kind of hardware that slides along the strap as the camera is raised. One supplier used to call them "glide"straps, which to me is a more accurate and descriptive name.

Dsptch has chosen to invest its time and money in advertising and promotion rather than in clever design. You can buy a neck strap anywhere and, if it is long enough, you can wear it per their illustrations.

Typed on the stupid iPad keyboard. Apologies for the errors.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Dude we can all tell from the picture it's a neck strap type and not what you consider a 'sling'. Do you own one? Because I do and I'm quite happy with it.

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I just bought one via the site link....in cool coyote :)

Looks really functional irrespective of what category it falls into. Not a huge fan of the one that came in the em5 box.

5. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

Your tone is a bit strong & negative...

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Possibly, but I think they are deliberately misleading people and I find that annoying. Not so much knowledgeable people like spatulaboy, but there are a lot of people (judging from posts) that don't understand the fundamental difference between a glide-type "sling" strap and a long strap fixed to the camera and worn across the body. To be fair, though, Optech advertises the same way, so I am probably swimming against the tide here.

I see that Black Rapid is now trying to differentiate their product as the "Original Camera Sling" so obviously they are seeing the same thing.

Custom SLR | Innovative Camera Gear uses the "Glide Strap" monicker. I think that is the best generic descriptor of what is happening, though that specific product is a little goofy due to their trying to circumvent the BR patent.

I have a very similar one as part of my strap kit. 1" nylon webbing, quick disconnects, pigtails on the cameras. I sometimes use it with a second body where the first body is on a glide/sling strap. My design, however, uses a cam-lock buckle for quick length adjustments rather that the slower and slightly cheaper ladder-locks that dsptch uses. My system also uses expensive metal quick-disconnects, not plastic ones. I really don't like trusting my cameras to those little plastic bits, even though they are popular with strap makers. I'm happy with mine, too, though it is the least-used strap in the kit.

7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    OK then.. you are the *competition* so that explains it.. the strong tone and harshness.. do you have a website like thiers? I bet they spent plenty to market thier stuff. Being they are from San Francisco, you know how "those people" are- they know how to market and what's in style..

:biggrin:

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    ROFL. I make my own stuff because I like to do it and I get exactly what I want. I hardly ever save money because I am buying materials in pathetically small quantities and the design decisions I make are not particularly cost-driven. For example. the pushbutton rifle quick-disconnect swivels that I use are $10.54/pair plus shipping even with my FFL/gunsmith discount. You can't work that kind of cost into a consumer product that you're trying to sell at a competitive price point of $25-50. You have to use the plastic junk.

There's also the matter of the BR patent. I hold three or four patents so have experience reading them, and I think it can be circumvented. But the cost to try is well north of $20K responding to their inevitable lawsuit and add up to another digit if it goes to trial, so I'm not interested in playing.

"Competition?" Hardly.

9. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm affiliated with DSPTCH, thought it might be good to chime in to prevent any misconceptions being spread around.

As far as misleading consumers, we provide a lot of pictures so that people know exactly what they're buying and how it attaches. I understand in the camera world that the term "sling" has been associated with the type of connection point used with it, but the word "sling" is used in other products and never associated with how it's connected to the item. It's related to the way the product is carried so if this is how people understand how it's being used, then not sure what the problem is (sling bag, rifle sling, etc.)

As far as the quality of materials, the strap is priced to be readily accessible to camera owners. Yes, of course you can spend more for better materials but that's basically true with any consumer product that exists on the market. We do use authentic Made in USA mil spec webbing for all of our products so there is some differentiation there, but still affordable for most camera owners.

Happy to discuss further.

10. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    Also, as far as the commentary about how we market/advertise, since when was it a bad thing to become a sponsor for a forum? The forum owner has bills to pay and we help pay them.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the support!

Nice looking straps. It looks like you are using OP/Tech Mini QD Loops, or something similar, for the quick disconnects? Curious if you have thought about a convertible strap, where you could substitute in a shorter strap for wrist carry? I think a pair of the Mini QDs would fit through a single lug as well.... thought about doing something similar with paracord, but it wouldn't have looked as nice as your gear!

12. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, they're very similar to the OP/Tech loops but we are actually in the process of making new round cord connectors to be much more like our Standard loop connectors (something about the plastic makes people nervous. I think sewn is much more visually sturdy, although the current ones are very tough).

They're interchangeable with our paracord wrist straps so you can quickly pop off the sling and switch to a wrist strap if you choose. You will have an un-attached connector, but you could always remove it or let it just hang on the side.

Happy to support! Glad to be part of the mu-43 community

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually you can spend less or the same for better quality materials, and get an actual sling strap. Check out gariz sling/gun shot strap( leather,metal fasteners,is a true sling strap).

14. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    Personally, I don't think most mirrorless owners need the "speed" of having a gliding system for their camera (I write "speed" because I don't think it's actually that much faster). These cameras are made for walkaround photography so I think the security of having 2 mounting points is better vs. being able to glide the camera.

Yes, you can always find cheaper slings. We're a small company, self-funded, with a commitment to having everything made in the USA. Lots of these items are manufactured en masse overseas and solely made with the intent of quickly turning a profit on a hot item and then discarding the unsold. We're part of a larger movement of small companies that are trying to being manufacturing back to the US and we're only going to be as successful as our customers that understand the value in paying more for a locally made product.

• Like Like x 1
  15. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I remember SmugMug had a giveaway.. I believe for members.. that used plastic connectors.

Several cameras bit the dust due to failed plastic connectors, so I can see how people are reluctant to use plastic.

16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually, you can spend less or equivalent and get an actual sling strap. Check out Gariz sling/gunshot strap. Leather, metal fasteners, and much higher quality. I have to agree that the product term sling associated with your product is misleading. I received one of your straps as a gift, and was sadly disappointed to discover its just a regular neck strap.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    incubits, welcome to the forums. I hope your presence is mutually beneficial and I think I speak for everyone when I thank you for your advertising support.

I really don't think we disagree on much.

You are making my point for me.

I agree again. The pictures make it absolutely clear that your product is a neck strap. My sole objection is that by using the term "sling" in a way that is inconsistent with its use "in the camera world" you are misleading people who really don't understand what a real sling/glide strap is. Optech is doing the same thing and probably others are too.

First, I apologize and move to strike the words "cheap junk," substituting "plastic hardware." And as I said/I agree that using plastic hardware is a necessity at your price point. ITW Nexus is of course the flagship USA brand, but the Chinese stuff IMHO has been pretty good. I just got a packet from China last week. I personally won't trust my cameras to plastic quick-release systems but that is just me. Lots of people do it without a second thought.

I've reread my posts and don't see where I said or implied this, but I again apologize if you think I did.

My guess is that you have never tried one. I'll loan you one if you like. Put your strap on over a sweatshirt or something soft, then put on a jacket. You'll see how tough the "drag strap" is to deal with. Then try mine.

I agree in the sense that I don't use the tripod mounting point since IMHO the adapter could too easily come unscrewed. (It also blocks my quick-release plates.) I am comfortable using a single strap lug, just as your customers would be doing with your wrist strap. But if two is your preference, fine. Different preferences is why they have all those flavors of ice cream.

You have a tough marketing problem. Fundamentally your neck strap is probably little different from the one Oskar Barnack attached to the first 35mm camera in 1914. But it could be worse: You could be trying to market an energy drink. You would still have a barely-differentiated product but you would also be fighting for the scarcest marketing resource in the known universe: convenience store cooler space.

18. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree with oldracer that the DSPTCH product doesn't meet my personal definition of a "sling", but is rather a long neck strap. On the other hand, terminology aside they are clearly not attempting to fool anyone about what they are offering -- the images and descriptions on their website give a very clear picture of the product.

My own preference is to use a single-connection, sliding "sling"-style strap, but I've heard from many on this forum and elsewhere who are very satisfied with the DSPTCH product. I think it's great that they are offering a product which is fairly unique in the market. I'm also very grateful to the company for using their advertising dollars to support this great forum.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I use the optech sling.

While it has lots of plastic bits, I haven't had the quick release fail. I use a black rapid tripod connector in conjuction with the strap. While the sliding mechanism is quick, it does have some disadvantages, at least for me. I find that sometimes the connecting lanyard can get in the way of compostion sometimes. I also don't like tying up my tripod connection. Also, sometimes the camera just doesn't want to sit right at my hip, or it will twirl around and not stay put.

I've actually done the longer neckstrap solution and wear it like a sling. The camera stays put. The disadvantage is speed. When I grap the camera I have to give slack to the entire strap so the strap doesn't pull on my shirt.

Like anything else, its whatever floats one's boat.

20. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    This is the fundamental disagreement. I was just stating that I understand where the thought that only a sling with a gliding mechanism is a true camera sling, but not that I necessarily agree. Reason #1 - Slings exist outside of the camera world, so this "misconception" will always exist as long as there are new photographers joining the ecosystem that aren't sling strap pros. Reason #2 - A major company in Optech doesn't subscribe to your definition either, which further bifurcates the camera community between those that believe there's only one type of sling and those that believe it is a wider definition. If consumers understand it this way, what is the cost of having a wider definition?

Side note, how does a traditional definition of the camera sling benefits others? In this specific case, the company that makes the "original" sling has stifled innovation in the space with litigation and borderline patent bullying. This is the company that we all want to support? Also, 100% made in China.

Our hardware is made in USA. We've also recently upgraded to ITW Nexus for our buckles, slides and d-rings.

This is actually one of the things we thought about with our design. Most stock straps have a sticky coating underneath the strap to prevent it from sliding around but since we don't have a gliding mechanism, we left it without any padding or coating to minimize this. The mil spec material is also coated to further allow easy movement when you need to pick the camera up.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I really don't think that the differentiating factor between a "neck strap" and a "sling strap" should be how it attaches to a camera, but maybe that's me. Customers pick products the more they make sense to them and I think we all have to agree that in the grander scheme of camera owners, there are going to be more people that don't have the background of gliding mechanism traditional sling straps with those that do.