1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Settings, RAW & JPEG

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Apr 24, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Maybe this is a really silly question, but ...

Are all of the following camera settings (I have a GH2) only applicable to the JPEGS that come out of the camera? Meaning, if I'm shooting RAW, these settings will really have no effect on the final image?

Film Mode (and all of its associated sliders)
    Intelligent Resolution
    Intelligent Dynamic
    Long Shutter Noise Reduction
    White Balance

(did I miss any?)

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I know that white balance is encoded into the RAW file metadata, so Lightroom for example can tell you what the camera thinks is the correct WB. That's a suggestion though, and it doesn't change the actual image data.

I believe that long shutter NR is encoded directly into the RAW image file data.

I am curious about the rest of it.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't use a Panasonic body so I can't comment on some of the settings you listed. White balance is encoded and used in the RAW processing by your computer program, and I think the long shutter noise reduction affects the raw data. It essentially takes a second exposure with the shutter closed and subtracts the data for that exposure (since the shutter is closed there is no picture data so all data is generated by noise) from the data for the original exposure in order to remove noise associated with the long exposure process.

While the other settings may not affect your RAW file, they will affect the image you see on your LCD screen and viewfinder, including the display of the scene prior to your pressing the shutter. Some functions such as exposure measurement are taken from the image as processed for the screen/viewfinder so some of your settings will affect the exposure the camera suggests. In addition, if you can set the camera to display blown highlights or use the histogram as an aid, those functions will also be affected by some settings. Settings like contrast and saturation fall into that group, and playing with those settings may result in slightly better exposure measurement by the camera. I've seen one blog post with a recommended set of settings for PEN cameras which are supposed to improve metering accuracy but they were from a Finnish photographer and obviously relate to his lighting conditions.I tried them for a while (reduced contrast and saturation) but have gone back to normal settings for those functions on my E-P3 but I'm in sub-tropical Australia with very bright sunlight and very different light conditions. His settings still resulted in blown highlights in my shots even though the highlight display/histogram on the camera was showing that there were no blown highlights. Going back to the normal settings means I have to dial in a bit more -EV to eliminate the blown highlight display in camera and I think I end up with less blown highlights in the actual files because of that. You'd need to run your own tests on that to see whether playing with those settings helps with your exposures if you're shooting RAW.

There's also a current thread somewhere here at the moment suggesting that the contrast setting and picture mode chosen for Olympus bodies also affects auto focus speed. I don't know whether that holds true for Panasonic bodies but since M43 uses contrast for autofocus it well may.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Long shutter NR affects the RAW image directly. Intelligent DR can affect the exposure in some situations.

White balance, film mode and intelligent resolution are simply EXIF tags that are included. Intelligent DR also adds an EXIF tag. RAW processors may choose to ignore them or use them. Most use white balance and lens correction info., but ignore the remaining tags.

If you use Panasonic's own RAW processor (Silkypix), all settings will be used.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Is the long shutter NS worth using? and shutter speed would you activate it for?
    Example I am shooting a sunset and running 1 sec exposure, or using an ND8 filter to do a water scene with 1+ sec exposure, would I benefit from it?

6. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Yes, it is designed for long exposures (over 1 second). If you turn it on, it has no effect unless your exposure is over 1 seconds.

I leave it on all the time to avoid forgetting it when doing long exposures.