Camera sale from h3ll

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I posted earlier about my decision earlier this year to rationalize my gear inventory by offloading lots of unused equipment and putting the proceeds into two new bodies, an E-M5.3 and E-M1.3. To that end, I’ve cleaned out five digital bodies (Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony) and about a dozen lenses from (mostly) Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic. Most of the sales were on eBay, and a group of old Nikon F-mount lenses went to B&H.

One sale hit a bump when eBay decided that saying in my ad that a camera had a flaw didn’t prevent a buyer from demanding a refund because the camera had that flaw. Fortunately, I was able to sell the camera a second time and it seems to be sticking. I’m just out one shipping fee.

A second sale is now a comedy. Fortunately, the money is not significant to me, but the annoyance is real.

I listed the camera on eBay, and got a bit more than my minimum price, which pleased me. I realized I had lost the battery charger while packing up the camera and immediately contacted the buyer, telling him that I would send a charger directly to him from Amazon. It would probably get it before the camera. He told me to cancel the sale and refund his money, which I decided to do without question. This took longer than I expected because I needed to transfer cash into my Paypal account to cover the refund, which took way too long. The buyer, thankfully, was gracious about this aspect despite not being so accommodating in the first instance.

I was bummed by this, so when I saw the Olympus trade-up offer, I immediately got a quote and the $200 discount on my new E-M1.3. After sending the camera in, they emailed me to lower the offer by about 25%. This took my proceeds to about half of the first failed eBay sale. I told them to send the camera back.

So then I put the camera back on eBay. It sold again (I acquired a new charger in the interim) last night to an overseas buyer, and this afternoon I got a message from the buyer saying his credit card is screwed up and he can’t pay for a week. Of course, I won’t ship until I get good funds in my paypal account. But still ...

So I have sold this camera three times, and I’m out about $8. But I still have the camera.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your story is one of the reasons I tend to go to places like B&H or my local camera store to sell or trade my gear. I have always been worried about exactly the kind of thing you have been going through.

As it turns out I have the Olympus 300mm f4 that I find I don't use nearly as much as I thought I would and have been thinking about selling or trading it along with my M1.2 for the M1.3. If I decide to do so I will probably start with someplace like UserPhotoPro or B&H. The return is a lot less financially but includes a lot less uncertainty.

Real Name
Richard
Selling things on ebay with faults or flaws is difficult unless you are selling 'for spares or not working'. I had someone buy a faulty Canon flash from me last year which I had listed in the normal category - he forced a return and refund at my expense on the grounds that he couldn't fix it himself. He had form for this.

Otherwise, buy-it-now with immediate payment required works for me. One of the first things that your buyer sees after committing to buy is 'similar things from other sellers' quite often cheaper than the thing they have decided to buy off you.

WT21

Super Moderator
Well, I just sold a kit that I was hoping to sell for $700 but then lowered, and lowered again. Off to mpb for $585. If I remove PayPal and shipping from the $700, then I would have netted $650. I got $585 instead. I'm down $65 in cash, but up at least $100 in time and avoiding headaches!

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
An experience I had selling an Oly 12-60mm SWD lens on eBay convinced me never to sell anything of any significance on that site again. Their policy is the customer is ALWAYS right even when you have proof they are not, they still are right. As a buyer, great policy. As a seller, you will get screwed by it eventually especially for pricier things like camera gear.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
As a business seller I have only had one bad sale where eBay gave the customer a refund, and told him he didn't have to send the item back.
After buying the G80 I sold my G80 plus 12-60mm at a price lower than any similar kit on offer, and threw in some bits and pieces. The buyer was very happy. When I bought an original Panasonic battery grip last weekend, I emailed the buyer of the G80 and asked him if he would be interested in the replacement battery grip as well. I sent him pictures of the grip so he could see the state of it. Of course he bought it at £25 posted. So that saved me listing the item. But it's not the 1st time that I have contacted a previous buyer if I had something to sell that was relevant to what they had bought off me before. In most cases I get a positive result out of it. And it saved me listening the item on eBay.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Without keeping a detailed spreadsheet to prove this, I'm pretty sure that my next five sales on eBay could be complete losses, assuming they are of typical $ amounts for me, and I'd still be ahead vs selling on forums, and way ahead vs selling to B&H or similar. I think the headache factor can be minimized by managing your sales well.

But there is still a risk. And if you don't sell very often eBay is probably not a great choice.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Can you not sell to a company like MPB?
The second sale - where they dropped the offer after seeing the camera - was to Roberts Camera. Nothing untoward here, I just thought the revised offer was way to low.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Veteran
I fee for you. My last adventure in selling on the ‘bay was for 2 sticks of ECC DDR3 RAM. I listed it for cheap and mentioned at least 3 times in the listing that it’s server/workstation RAM and that buyer should check the system for proper compatibility. Of course the eventual buyer did no such thing and claimed I sold him defective goods and opened a return. After a back and forth, we determined he did not have a compatible system (ie, not a server or workstation). He still wanted a refund because the item “didn’t work.” That’s when I learned that I’m probably SOL, and we finally agreed to a partial refund. I told the buyer to keep the item since it wasn’t worth paying for more shipping.

I’ve become more and more hesitant to sell on eBay anymore. Many people just can’t read and assume you have a Walmart return policy. I’d rather just take what B&H offers me on camera gear, as I know they are good for the money.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Kind of like keh
Thank you for the link.

While I know about KEH, UPP, B&H, Adorama and others I never heard of MPB so this is a new company to me. I checked the website for something I am interested in and found it to be about 10-15% less expensive than the others that I checked so I have to ask if they are as dependable and reputable as the others. Is the gear they sell clean and in good shape?

I can (and probably will) call them but I would prefer to hear from people who have actually done business with them.

WT21

Super Moderator
Thank you for the link.

While I know about KEH, UPP, B&H, Adorama and others I never heard of MPB so this is a new company to me. I checked the website for something I am interested in and found it to be about 10-15% less expensive than the others that I checked so I have to ask if they are as dependable and reputable as the others. Is the gear they sell clean and in good shape?

I can (and probably will) call them but I would prefer to hear from people who have actually done business with them.
I’ve bought one item and sold 1-2 items to them. No issues so far, though that’s not a big data set.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom