Camera Prices to Get Even Worse for Canadians in April

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Turbofrog, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Just got this e-mail from Henry's:

The Decline of the Canadian Dollar - Henry's best camera store in Canada

So if you've felt like prices in Canada are bad now (and they're only rarely better than the current exchange rate...!) they're about to get even worse.

Consider getting more intimate with your current gear, or get your GAS out of the way in March. Or just continue to buy from US retailers, as Henry's must know by now is common practice...

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My condolences.

You can have our strong dollar if you take all our current Presidential candidates along as a package deal. :rolleyes-38:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    :( Crap, oh well saw it coming, thats why I recently bought the lenses I wanted before I really wanted to. Was really hoping the E-M1 mkII would have already made an appearance.... Likely going to be well in excess of $2000CAD now.

4. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Manufacturers tend to be fairly quick to raise prices when a currency weakens but very slow to make adjustments the other way. So even if the Canadian dollar does strengthen again, it's going to be a long time until things return to where they were a year ago.

It's a great time to be happy with the equipment I have. I might buy one used lens this year, but otherwise it's time to just take pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Look on the bright side. No one seems to like the Pen F anyway :wink:

6. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    Haha.. you can have our loonie but we're not taking yours. Swap you Bernie Sanders for our $ tho' ; and throw in 'free' medical.

7. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I saw that. There wasn't any explicit mention of Olympus, who already jacked their prices last year when oil and the dollar started to tank. With our dollar at 74 cents, Olympus' Canadian prices seem comparable to US prices. I would hope that Olympus doesn't think they can charge us even more than they already are.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm, this article said that oil prices won't go further than $26 USD a barrel and that the Canadian dollar should hold steady at in the US 70 cent exchange rate. It's a US election year too, so there won't be any wars or anything disruptive. I can see oil prices go back up after the election and with it the Canadian dollar.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sorry for those of you in Canada.

For those of us in the US, does it make sense to buy equipment in Canada, if making a trip there anyways?

How are the taxes there, and are there tax refunds at the airports like there are in EU?

The warranties are North American from both Oly and Pana, right?

Thanks,
    Barry

10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    In the last year or so there were quite a few deals to be had because some items were still priced from when the dollars were closer, right now thats getting to be fewer and fewer.

Checkout henrys.com, they ship to US (not sure shipping charges) and I don't believe charge taxes when doing so. A E-M5 mkii is about $750US for instance OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II BODY (BLACK) V207040BU000

Buying in store, yes you will pay tax but yes I believe there is a method of refund not sure about maximum dollar values or anything like that. Shipping is probably less hassle.

Sent via mu-43 app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    At least Panasonic doesn't honour warranties across borders to the very best of my knowledge. That said, I still bought my GX7 from the US because it saved me $300 which is worth more to me than any warranty ever could be. I figure a warranty is maybe 1% chance to save a few hundred dollars, so the risk/reward has never felt worth it. Also why I buy used as often as o can.

• Like Like x 1