1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Policy: Lion King on Broadway

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bongestrella, May 1, 2013.

1. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm thinking of going 2 weeks from now and I was wondering what their policy is when it comes to bringing camera/tripod inside. Note that I don't intend on taking any pictures inside the theater, it's just that before the show I'll be walking around the city with my gear. I won't be bringing my car in the city so leaving my gears there is not an option.

Anyone have a first-hand experience?

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Considering the theater has a "Absolutely NO recording devices are allowed in the theatre, including still cameras" policy, I would look into a storage locker near the area to stash your gear.

3. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i just went to see that play this past weekend in Appleton, WI. they were not checking bags by any means, but i kind of doubt a tripod would go unnoticed. obviously it depends on the staff at the theater.

4. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Bring a gorillapod and a man purse (assuming you are a man)

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    There will probably be coat check area where you can store stuff .

6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks guys. As supermaxv said, I might just find a locker close to the theater and leave my stuff there.

7. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    tripod in NYC?

unless you are on the outskirts of Manhattan, by the water or in Central Park, that may not work.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've always put my stuff away into my backpack when entering theaters on and off Broadway, just to avoid a confrontation or warning. But I was at Phantom of the Opera last week in NYC and watching a dude with a 60D and a massive white L lens taking photos of whatever. I was taking pictures of the Book of Mormon set and I think the Avenue Q set too. As long as nobody's trying to actually photograph or video during the show, no big deal. Go in, put your stuff on the ground, and enjoy the show. You'll be fine.

However, the_traveler brings up a very good point. Trying to use a tripod anywhere near Broadway or Times Square is a fool's errand.