1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera Plate for OMD with Battery Grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Dec 5, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I notice that Really Right Stuff only has camera plates for the OMD without the battery grip. Does anyone make a plate for the OMD WITH the grip?

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I think they have generic plates ?

not L style though wish I really really wish they would make cause on all my 1 series I rant their L plate setups !

I am using one of my old single bottom plates from a 1 series and it works but hangs over a touch

I might try this instead of the spider system not quite just a plate but seems to be a arca style plate also ?
    Utility Belts & Harnesses| B&H Photo Video

also wanted to try another way of securing the camera instead of the spider system and they have a dual that fits both arca and bogen style ?
    my arca is a quick clamp RRS and says its only compatible with the screw types which I also have ? so might be a option for a plate since they make a few styles ?

3. tweggs

tweggs Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA. USA
    Just to throw another one in the mix. I have been using a L-Bracket from a Canon Get-9 and this works good with or without the vertical grip. It's not perfect but will fill the bill. Actually I can use it with the battery part of the grip removed also. Like I said not perfect but does work. We have two of these setup.
    Cheers, Terry. Eggers Photography

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Canon Get-9. Copy. Thanks, I'll check it out.

-------------

Edit:
    OK, I Googled Canon Get-9 Camera Plate and this is one option I found, does it look familiar?

BG9L.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    could you post a couple pics with it on and the grip on please :)

6. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Thanks for raising this question, Tom. I, too, have been looking for an L-bracket plate for my OMD+grip. For my E-30+grip, I was able to use one of the universally adjustable L-brackets and that worked just fine. I shoot almost exclusively from a tripod or monopod and I need to be able to switch from horizontal to vertical.

I added the grip to the OMD immediately and it, most likely, will never come off. I didn't get the OMD for its size or any of the other m4:3's physical characteristics - - I got it for its sensor and processor. But having the battery door on the end of the grip is a killer for using the L-bracket. And it was something I didn't realize when handling the camera before I bought it - - silly me.

It looks like the Canon bracket above would still have this problem. I don't want to be taking the bracket off every time I need to change the battery. In fact, I put the bracket on with some locking agent on the threads to keep it from being easily removed.

I wonder if I could mail my OMD+grip to RRS or Kirk and have them try each of their other camera model brackets on it to see if any of them would work with the battery door - - even if it is ugly? I know that this was an issue for at least a few Nikon models.

7. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I have a new OMD and the referenced RRS Canon G9 L-plate from my dead G9 fits (not using any accessory grip with it). Slothead's photo does look like it.

That said, it sticks out about 1/2 inch from the LH (cable connector door) side, which does offer another place to grip the camera with your left hand (a really solid grip- can hold camera with just left hand easily). It also means you'll be mounting the camera onto the A-S ball head at the very left end, and the lens quite far away from the lens axis (can negatively affect panoramas).

The biggest problem is that the design of the plate (for G9) means that the rear screen cannot be tilted- there is a part of the design which blocks the screen from being pulled out.

So I'd say it's a temporary option. Can probably pick up a used G9 L-plate reasonably priced, but if you want to tilt the screen, you won't be happy.