Camera Or Phone?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jun 8, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Yes this looks like 'the camera phone' to have. (For those who like Nokia Pureview as a camera, they need to realize that it is a lousy phone - windows is simply not competitive in the mobile arena (as well as Symbian).)

Although the product looks a bit 'thick' bear in mind the phone is essentially an 'S4 mini' with an iphone sized 4.3" screen. This is the sort of product - 16 MP camera with a 10x zoom - that virtually makes all point and shoots redundant.
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Isn't the sensor the same one used in the Nokia phones? If so, that's pretty close to RX100 and Nikon 1 territory in terms of sensor-size and image-quality. I'm not a big fan of the Zoom's design, so I'll probably never get one, but I like the fact that they're finding ways to incorporate more serious photo options into smartphones. I don't see a phone rendering my GR redundant anytime soon, but it's nice to know that phones are only a couple of years away from being good enough for even the pickiest of compact enthusiasts.
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I think it is the same sensor as in the Galaxy Camera, which is a 1/2.3" CMOS. The zoom seems a bit gimmicky to me, like Samsung is just testing different features and forms.

I'd like a camera with a fast fixed lens and a 2/3" or 1" sensor.
  4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Makes me wish I could make a call on my EM-5.
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I feel a fool for buying an OM-D now!
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That'll be perfect for the Chicago Sun-Times reporters.

They should have an SD card reader and an SSD and make it the digital hub of the roving photojournalist. I could have used it yesterday in Zuccoti Park
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just saw this on Facebook, RT!

Since the Digital Pen line started, I have now been able to always carry a compact system camera with me everywhere I go (literally). My phone is still a phone, and will never be used as a camera. So this is not really the phone for me, but....

... I am so glad to see this hit the market, as I am tired of so many crappy cellphone pics being plastered around the internet! Yes, they hurt my sensibilities. :) This product could very well help to reduce that problem, so I'm hoping lots of people will buy it and stop taking such bad photos. :)