Camera Or Phone?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jun 8, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes this looks like 'the camera phone' to have. (For those who like Nokia Pureview as a camera, they need to realize that it is a lousy phone - windows is simply not competitive in the mobile arena (as well as Symbian).)

Although the product looks a bit 'thick' bear in mind the phone is essentially an 'S4 mini' with an iphone sized 4.3" screen. This is the sort of product - 16 MP camera with a 10x zoom - that virtually makes all point and shoots redundant.

2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Isn't the sensor the same one used in the Nokia phones? If so, that's pretty close to RX100 and Nikon 1 territory in terms of sensor-size and image-quality. I'm not a big fan of the Zoom's design, so I'll probably never get one, but I like the fact that they're finding ways to incorporate more serious photo options into smartphones. I don't see a phone rendering my GR redundant anytime soon, but it's nice to know that phones are only a couple of years away from being good enough for even the pickiest of compact enthusiasts.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think it is the same sensor as in the Galaxy Camera, which is a 1/2.3" CMOS. The zoom seems a bit gimmicky to me, like Samsung is just testing different features and forms.

I'd like a camera with a fast fixed lens and a 2/3" or 1" sensor.

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Makes me wish I could make a call on my EM-5.

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I feel a fool for buying an OM-D now!

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That'll be perfect for the Chicago Sun-Times reporters.

They should have an SD card reader and an SSD and make it the digital hub of the roving photojournalist. I could have used it yesterday in Zuccoti Park

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just saw this on Facebook, RT!

Since the Digital Pen line started, I have now been able to always carry a compact system camera with me everywhere I go (literally). My phone is still a phone, and will never be used as a camera. So this is not really the phone for me, but....

... I am so glad to see this hit the market, as I am tired of so many crappy cellphone pics being plastered around the internet! Yes, they hurt my sensibilities. :) This product could very well help to reduce that problem, so I'm hoping lots of people will buy it and stop taking such bad photos. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.