Camera operation using old (manual) lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by apt-efx, Mar 4, 2010.

1. apt-efx

apt-efx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi guys!

Newcomer here, and I have 1 question.

I've been reading about all the interesting adapted lens combination you people have for the m4/3 cameras.
    Now I am wondering that since there is no electrical connection between the old (manual focus) lens and the camera body, how do you operate the camera+lens? :confused:

Would you just set the aperture on the lens body, and then set the camera to be in S mode, rendering it full manual operation? Or can you set it in A mode, with a random aperture number on the camera body, and if so will the light metering work to determine the optimal shutter speed?

I have the e-p2 and am considering older manual lenses (either the hexanons or the voigtlanders).

Thanks!!! :smile:

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome to mu-43.com, apt-efx! Hope you'll stop in at the Welcomes and Intro forum and make yourself continue to make yourself at home. :biggrin:

In the meantime, no doubt that someone with more experience than I will come on and help you out with a good answer. It may or may not take a bit of time, depending upon who is online, but it will get answered - that I promise.:thumbup:

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I use a G1 so it may be different...... in the menu there
    is a choice "operate without lens". Once you set that
    any of the "dumb" adapters simply holds the lens of
    choice in place. You operate the cam in "A" or "M" and
    set the aperture on the lens ring.

You will see the corresponding speed change as you stop
    down. Very simple really, I'm sure that someone with an
    EP-2 will come along with more specific info for that cam.

[​IMG]

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    E-P2 is just as easy.. Actually there is no setting for shoot without lens... I shoot manual only, but I'm not a big fan of automatic metering... I use the exposure computer http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Learn the basics and never need a meter again...

5. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Interesting site

Thanks for posting the link to that site. I’m a big fan of through the lens metering, but he gives a great explanation about why you can’t just expect any meter to give you a perfect exposure.

I don’t know how to copy your post onto a thread I started a few weeks ago, that was links to good photography sites—possibly one of the moderators or more experienced users could do that—I still like the idea of a thread like that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Alan, what would you like me to help with?

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Well my issue with through the lens is I have some film bodies that don't have meters :rolleyes:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Just took care of it for you Alan.

I just hit "quote" under ahuyevshi's post that you wanted, copied it and then went to that thread of yours, hit reply and pasted it in with my comments. Here you go: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=729:smile:

9. walshy

walshy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010