Camera manuals on iPhone.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by steveb, Mar 8, 2010.

1. steveb

steveb Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I guess you could describe it as software.

The new e-pl1 finally went on sale here (Japan) on Friday last week. I'll definitely be getting one once a get paid in two weeks time. As I'll be buying a camera sold for the Japanese market, the instruction manual is going to be in Japanese.....

So I searched for the pdf version of the manual, found it on the Olympus website and downloaded it. A pdf file is OK for viewing on my Mac at home but its not exactly something you can slip into your pocket when learning how to use the camera outside.
    I noticed that you could actually pay for a paper copy of the manual but that was only available to people in the US/Canada.

I know the iPhone and possibly iPod touch will display pdf files so I emailed the downloaded file to my phone and opened it up with the mail app. I could view the manual no problem but scrolling was slow as you can only move from one page to the next.

After a quick search I found an app called FileApp. Its a free download that lets you receive and view files sent from a Mac or PC on your iPhone. You then download another free programme to your Mac or PC called cyberduck. This allows you to transfer the files to your phone via a wireless connection.

It was all very simple to set up and I can now view the instruction manual wherever I go and scroll through the manual very quickly. I'm really pleased with it so I thought I'd share it on here!!!

Here are a few screen shots to show the app in action:

First start the wireless connection to receive the file

Next choose the file you've just received

You can now view the manual vertically

or horizontally

Hope this helps someone else out, Steve
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    There's an app called PDF reader. You put in the http address of the PDF and it downloads to the iPhone. It works good.
  3. steveb

steveb Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2010
    I'll check it out thanks. :thumbup: