Camera loses set focus

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
My E-M1 Mark II is mounted on a tripod and I have a remote trigger cable attached. I have it aimed at my hummingbird feeder. My lens is the 12-100 f4. The camera is in manual focus and doesn't move. However, if I walk away from it for a while it is out of focus when I return and I often miss my shot. Can someone explain why I lose my focus and how to avoid this. Thank you.

haunted scrap heap
In the MF/AF menu of my E-PL7 there's a setting called "reset lens". If this is set to "off" the lens will retain its focus through sleep/power cycling... you might want to start by checking for that?

EDIT: Oh, and if not that then possibly some zoom creep on the 12-100? I have no idea how much that lens tends to do that...

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks so much! I just set to "off" and will see what happens. I haven't heard of zoom creep, but I'll check if that might be happening, too.

haunted scrap heap
I haven't heard of zoom creep, but I'll check if that might be happening, too.
There's a tendency for some larger, heavier zoom lenses to "adjust" themselves due to gravity when they spend some time close to vertical... but it seems pretty unlikely in your case. It was just the only other thing I could think of other than gremlins... :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom