1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera/Lens Maintenance

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    What are some must-do's for camera maintenance? How often do I perform the sensor cleaning that I see in my camera menu?

How about the lenses? I have a Nikon Pen that I purchased. Is that the only thing that I need to do?

Thanks fellas.:thumbup:

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Clean lenses and sensor when they're dirty.

A dirty sensor will typically create circular blobs on your image. You cannot see a dirty sensor by looking through the viewfinder. A dirty lens will lessen the sharpness of the image. Dust/dirt on the front element will have little effect on your image. Dust/dirt on the rear element will affect the image. You can see the dust/dirt by removing the lens and closely examine the glass elements.

In addition to your lens pen you should get a hefty "Rocket Blower" for initial dust removal and two wet cleaning solution kits, one for the sensor (Eclipse) and one for your lenses (lens cleaner). That lens pen is probably too large to be used effectively on the sensor. Smaller lens pens are available specifically for sensors.

The wet cleaning solutions should only be used when the camera's self-cleaning, air blower and lens pens fail to clean.

Gary

3. I don't tend to get too stressed out if a lens isn't spotlessly clean 100% of the time. When I do clean a lens, I get the best results from removing any loose particles with a blower and light brush, wet cleaning with light use of a lens tissue and lens cleaning solution, waiting for the solution to dry and then use a lens pen to remove any residue or marks that may still be left behind. I don't do this over a set period but instead on a needs basis. I also tend to use a UV filter on my lenses more often than not so I am performing this procedure on the filter, not the lens surface.

Cleaning a lens by using only wet cleaning or dry cleaning (lens pen) alone may be sufficient, but by combining the two methods I find it gives the best results with the minimum amount of pressure applied to the lens surface. I wouldn't recommend using just the lens pen on a particularly dirty lens. For example, I would only use it to remove a small fingerprint smudge or residue from a drop of water.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Lens pen, rocket blower, microfiber lens cloth, Zeiss lens cleaning solution (rarely used)

5. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I always check my lenses after I use it. I use rocket blower and microfiber cloth.

I have 3 liquid cleaner, 1 zeiss, 1 kodak (this is very old :D ) and 1 is chinese brand. I always wipe them with water after applying any of these liquid cleaners. After the liquid dry, it always makes some hazy layer, fogging the glass. I only apply the liquid on filter. So I never apply this liquid cleaner if I don't have fingerprints on it.

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Only clean your sensor if it is dirty.

To check the cleanliness of the sensor, set your camera to the smallest aperture (e.g., f/22) and shoot a blue sky or your computer screen background set to white (make sure screen is clean).

Zoom in on the image in-camera or download to your computer and zoom-in. Go up and down and side-to-side to view every area of the image. The dust specks and other minute particles will show up as darker spots. If you have a lot of them, or even if just a few but you frequently shoot with the lens stopped down (e.g., landscapes), then it's time to clean.

This isn't as much of an issue if you mostly shoot with the lens at larger apertures, as you won't see them, but if the sensor is dirty enough, it can begin to affect image sharpness.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Don't clean your camera unless it's dirty. I can't tell you the number of messed up sensors I've seen online by people that buy the methanol-based sensor cleaning kits because they have to make sure that the camera has zero dust spots every other week, and how many front elements I've seen messed up for the same reason.

• Like Like x 1