CAMERA KIT, HIKING KIT, FOOD, DRINK. IS THERE A WAY TO CARRY IT ALL?

trailguru

Mu-43 Regular
I gave up on camera specific bags long ago. I use a Kelty Redwing 2650 pack if I have to carry much gear. Has room for gear, cloths, food and has room for a 3 liter blade. I put my lenses in padded cases and just stuff them in the pack. Opens from the top and bottom and has two large pockets on the side for really quick access.
The Kelty 32L front opening pack is high on my list of possible

trailguru

Mu-43 Regular
I'd like to thank everyone for the very helpful replies. It's time I reviewed what I carry as my default. I've listed the 'default' kit list earlier in the posts. When I've sorted out a pack and put some trips in (we're still all locked down here in the UK) I'll post my (or should I say 'our'?) solution and how well it's working.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
It's a challenge. So far, with no answers. I'd like to hear from someone who has found a great way to carry a comprehensive MFT system plus hiking gear for a day's hiking in the wilds?

I carry: 2 bodies, 4 lenses, tripod, filter system and accessories plus spare fleece, waterproof top, waterproof trousers, gloves, hat, about 1.5L drink (often in a bladder) and lunch.

I carry 12-16lb of camera gear on my day hikes and backpacking trips. I either use an Osprey Talon 33L or Osprey Atmos (old style) 65L. Dual wield the Peak Design Capture Clip on both my birding camera and medium format film landscape camera. I'll then sling another 35mm film camera across my chest (sometimes). Extra lenses and film backs in the pack. Usually 3 MFT lenses and 2 medium format lenses + 3 or 4 film backs. One sometimes two tripods

No one really takes pictures of the group photographer so these are the only two pics I have showing it. Orange jacket is the most recent and current setup. It's a lifestyle choice.

DSCF4413-1_2.jpg PXL_20210123_221842961.jpg Screenshot_394.png
PXL_20210123_025514180.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Screenshot_393.png

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
I carry 12-16lb of camera gear on my day hikes and backpacking trips. I either use an Osprey Talon 33L or Osprey Atmos (old style) 65L. Dual wield the Peak Design Capture Clip on both my birding camera and medium format film landscape camera. I'll then sling another 35mm film camera across my chest (sometimes). Extra lenses and film backs in the pack. Usually 3 MFT lenses and 2 medium format lenses + 3 or 4 film backs. One sometimes two tripods

No one really takes pictures of the group photographer so these are the only two pics I have showing it. Orange jacket is the most recent and current setup. It's a lifestyle choice.

View attachment 874976 View attachment 874977 View attachment 874981
View attachment 874979
View attachment 874980

My back, knees, and every muscle in my senior body aches at the thought of all this gear. :-O

macabee

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Barry King
Too much photo gear, I carry just one mft body the Olympus OMD M1ii with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14–150mm F4–5.6 II zoom, spare battery and SD cards, no need for tripod, I just have a Gitzo monopod that doubles for a walking pole, all this and my walking and safety kit is carried in my Billingham 25 backpack, as this is waterproof every thing will stay dry.

It works for me

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
My back, knees, and every muscle in my senior body aches at the thought of all this gear. :-O

Oh, my back and knees hurt through this too. :roflmao:

Too much photo gear, I carry just one mft body the Olympus OMD M1ii with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14–150mm F4–5.6 II zoom, spare battery and SD cards, no need for tripod

This used to be my ultralight kit. The EM1/5ii + 14-150ii combo is so great for moving fast and catching any but the most niche pictures. Rarely did I carry a second lens. Oly IBIS is perfectly acceptable for 90% of my shots and we all went m43 because of the cost/weight!

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

View attachment 874979
View attachment 874980

Enjoy it while you can.
I used to easily carry your kit, now it would go into a wheeled cart.
You're a LOT younger than me. As you get older, beyond about 45, your weight carrying ability starts to go down, either through injury, age or both.
Take care of your back.

BTW, thanks for the inventory. It helps when thinking about what to carry on an outing.
I notice you have a 220 back, but no 220 film. Do you use 120 film in that back?

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran

View attachment 874979
View attachment 874980
:drinks:What a magnificent kit to take on your hikes...I'm envious!!

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Enjoy it while you can.
I used to easily carry your kit, now it would go into a wheeled cart.
You're a LOT younger than me. As you get older, beyond about 45, your weight carrying ability starts to go down, either through injury, age or both.
Take care of your back.

BTW, thanks for the inventory. It helps when thinking about what to carry on an outing.
I notice you have a 220 back, but no 220 film. Do you use 120 film in that back?

I hope to make it into backpacking as long as my dad did. Weekend recovery has starting becoming longer and longer so I think I'll be happy with half the years.

And yes, I found that 220 backs work with 120 film without issue regarding film plane and paper backing. I can squeeze 16 shots of 6*4.5 on a roll and the 220 backs are about 1/3 the price of the 120s! As for the list, if you're interested in building your own, Lighterpack.com is a really great resource. Here's my weekend full pack list. It really helps when doing a pack check to make sure you have everything. Great for building day pack lists too and we have one for the dog's pack so the saddlebag distribution is even.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I hope to make it into backpacking as long as my dad did. Weekend recovery has starting becoming longer and longer so I think I'll be happy with half the years.

And yes, I found that 220 backs work with 120 film without issue regarding film plane and paper backing. I can squeeze 16 shots of 6*4.5 on a roll and the 220 backs are about 1/3 the price of the 120s! As for the list, if you're interested in building your own, Lighterpack.com is a really great resource. Here's my weekend full pack list. It really helps when doing a pack check to make sure you have everything. Great for building day pack lists too and we have one for the dog's pack so the saddlebag distribution is even.

Yeah, my father was able to do more than me.
I think it has to do with being more physical in day to day work, vs. sitting at a computer all day.

I forget, but I think the Hasselblad 220 back is geared different from the 120 back. I don't remember how that affects the frame count, maybe 11 instead of 12 frames.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Before COVID, I was planning a 2 month trip to Vietnam to visit relatives, and that's why I got into m4/3 and bought E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4. No need for bring second lens or change lenses in a rainy tropical country, no need to bring tripod thanks to an extra stop of IS. Just trying to minimize the amount of photography gear, make it secondary to the experience. I think a trip to visit family should be mostly about visiting family, and likewise a hiking trip should just be about hiking. Just focus on having fun and the photos will come naturally with less effort. If photography and photography gear becomes a distraction, if we think about photography too much, if we try too hard for the sake of photography, it might actually get in the way of our photography.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
I've done a few things to absolutely minimize my pack needs.

1. I've mostly abandoned photo packs, most of them are worthless for aanything more than light hiking. I primarily use a Deuter hydration pack right now, but I'm shopping for a larger ~40L hiking pack because my Deuter is a summer-only half-day pack (no room for a sweater+shell, only one of the two). I typically haul 3L of water + plenty of snacks on a 4-5 hour hike and usually will also have an insulated water bottle with gatorade or coke for a cold sugar hit.
2. I minimize what I carry. 2 zooms, 1 body is the goal. I tend not to use a lot of filters, and if I can ever get to an E-M1 III, I'll be able to ditch everything but a polarizer (ND's are the only other filters I have any use for). May carry a flash for nature macro in the woods.
3. I carry an absolutely tiny tripod (Manfrotto 290 with the smallest Sirui head) and often leave it home and just carry a Platypod with the base accessory set and a head
4. I don't carry the core system in the pack. Body+lens on a Peak Capture Clip on the shoulder strap, other lens in a waist pouch along with the Platypod & head. The peak clip is remarkable for what you can carry on it if your pack has good straps. I've carried FF DSLR's with medium size lenses with no issues on the Peak clip. The only m43 setup I'd worry about on it is the 150-400 and that's just for size.
5. One advantage of hiking packs is vented pack support. This is amazing on a warm day, your back doesn't turn into a sweaty mess.

this!

Hiking? Forget about camerabags, and get a Deuter, and a pouch.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1. I've mostly abandoned photo packs, most of them are worthless for aanything more than light hiking. I primarily use a Deuter hydration pack right now, but I'm shopping for a larger ~40L hiking
2. I minimize what I carry. 2 zooms, 1 body
3. I carry an absolutely tiny tripod
5. One advantage of hiking packs is vented pack support.

Ditto.
1) I use a 40L Gregory for my kit other than photo. I take enough kit to survive a night out if necessary. 30L Gregory for short hikes. Both have hydration option.
2) 9-18mm + 14-150mm + EM5ii (will try with only the 12-100 this summer)
3) Pedco Ultrapod 57g
4) Camera hanging from pack straps with Optech Reporter straps and QD quick connect. Optech stabilizer strap to keep the camera from bouncing around. And little 9-18 in pocket.
5) vented back panel 👍 can't stress it enough.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
and get a Deuter, and a pouch.
got a Gregory and a pooch :)

LkAnn_0049.jpg

HiddenPk_10-19_0049.jpg

MaplePass_80153.jpg
EasyPass_10-11_0075.jpg
DockBt108.jpg

SibleyPassA_0077-78.jpg

OK you get the point ;) I can keep going...

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does the pooch carry his own supplies?

Tried that. Doesn't work out so well when she does this...

LkAnn_0016.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom