1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Camera gift for my fiancee.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hey guys my fiancee was so in love with her LOMO Fisheye 2 and she lost it, and after i got her a new one, we moved from Chile to New Zealand were developing film is virtually impossible at the prices they charge to do that. its so expensive that it seems that instead-of-trying-to-help-keeping-film-alive-for a-bit-more-time-they-are-really-trying-to-get-rid-of-it-expensive. so i was thinking in getting her an EPL1 and maybe get a nice fisheye for her. like the rokinon?

she really likes the fisheye effects or something similar to a fisheye. most important thing is getting AF, i know the lomo doesnt have AF BUT the lomo fisheye is basically all in focus lens so it didnt matter. im not expert with the rokinon or how much is it. will the EPL1 or EPM1 + rokinon would do the trick for her? any suggestion is much appreciated!. :thumbup:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If AF is vital to you, then you should be aware that the Rokinon is a manual focuslens. However, as you've pointed out, focus is generally not that that critical with a fisheye as you generally want to have a large DOF with focus at or near the hyperfocal distance.

If you find that you really need AF, then you'll want to look at the Panasonic fisheye, but this lens costs twice as much as the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower MF option.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The Rokinon is highly regarded, a quick google search will show tons of positive reviews. I quite enjoy mine..very fun to use lens! Nice, small and well-built.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Rokinon is awesome and easy to set hyperfocal.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thank you guys for all your responses. then i think that if the lens is only manual it doesnt matter in what canera you mount it, right?. epm1 plus rokinon sounds like the kit for her. now as a price reference what would be an expensive and a really good deal for that camera and lens?

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    They're running 300 new, around 250 used.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thats for the lens only right? so camera another 2-300? so would be in between 5-600 for the kit?

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That sounds about right, at least here in the US (in US dollars). I'm not sure about what the going prices for these would be in NZ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Refurb EPL1 body is currently 130 USD at Cameta.

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    no way i would buy that here in nz, here everything that relates to photographic equipment is at least 30% than anywhere overseas. so no way. only sometimes with really expensive gear the best you can get is the exact same price as bh without tax. but thats about it. so im definitely getting this present for her, overseas. thank you guys for all your help!.

also, is there any other Fish Eye lens for m43? or not really?.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Pentax Q system has all kinds of lomo type lenses :smile:

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hmmm yeah ive seen it, is ridiculous small....what about handling? and prices? what about IQ?....

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There was a rumor a while back that there was/is going to be a :43: version of this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_ya24_madoka180e_7_3mm_Fisheye_Lens_for.html

Other than that I've never heard of any other fisheyes. You might want to consider the NEX version (along with a NEX body) so that she would have focus peaking...for whatever that is with with a fisheye.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    that looks quite impressive. but no. I guess the smaller i would like to go is m43 when it comes to sensor size. Specially 'cause i want her to have a really lasting camera/technology. shes not a gear geek or anything like that, she knows what i know and thats it (to photo gear related stuff of course). And perhaps with the EPM1 prices nowadays look quite tempting considering is such a nice camera.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No worries - just presenting you with another option :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria