1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera for my boss (wife)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoJo, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I want to get a camera for my wife and I have narrowed it down to something like the EP2 but better. I use the EM5 in my business and the images are outstanding. Her camera must be very compact. Which of the EP2 style bodies would you suggest? My wife could break a cast iron football so I do not want to spend a lot. I already have a VF2 and a small flash and I will buy an Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Your options for the current Olympus offerings are: E-PL7, E-P5, and E-M10. We have decided not have any more cameras without viewfinders. If you are considering the E-P5 you might want to look at the E-M10 as well.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If the camera isn't too large, I would suggest a refurbished Olympus E-M10 direct from Olympus:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras/e-m10-silver-body-reconditioned.html

If you don't need to buy right away, wait for one of those 20% off sales of refurbished good on the same Oly ous site. Usually four times a year. That's 20% off on top of the already-discounted price for refurbs. If you put the VF-2 on any of the Olympus EP-series cameras, you'll see there's no size advantage over the E-M10.

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks guys! I thought that Olympus had produced a wider range of Pen style cameras since I bought the E-P2. It seems that the decision is easier that I anticipated. I will go for the E-P5. I looked on eBay just now and the prices are higher than I expected to spend so I might have to go into my trading mode.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    E-PL5 and E-PM2 are good cameras too.

6. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Epm2 is a great camera but without viewfinder and has dial problem.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If she can break a cast iron football I would NOT get something with the idea of putting a viewfinder on it. Nope, no way, stick an appendage on that could be comparatively easily ripe off?

If she needs a viewfinder, get the E-M10, otherwise the E-P5/E-PL7 would be my picks if she wants something smaller than the E-M5.

8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Have you thought about an RX100? I got the RX100 III recently and my wife uses it a lot of the time where she used to use the EM5 +12-32 (I use the EM1). The RX100 is a lot smaller than any of the cameras posted here so far but the image quality is as good as them when using one of the kit zoom lenses.

9. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    I read this as your boss's wife. Was going to inform you that you're playing a dangerous game, but nevermind :D.

• Like Like x 4
  10. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Valid consideration. You should see what she did to the flywheel on my five speed BMW. She thinks having to push on a clutch pedal is silly. We now only own automatics.

11. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Nope. She is my boss and my wife. After 48 years of marriage, you learn to go with the flow!

• Like Like x 2
  12. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Isn't it redundant to say she's your boss AND wife, doesn't one imply the other?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    GM1 with 12-32mm is very compact combo, cost about $500-600

14. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Read my lips, Grasshopper.

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I think my EPL5 is my favorite camera these days. Same sensor as EM5 so bteter pix than the EP2. The EPM2 also has the same sensor, but needs a tilt screen to be perfect.

16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Does she need interchangable lens? If not look at a Ricoh GR or a Fuji X100.

If she wants the convenience of a zoom or multiple focal lengths, I'd look at the Panasonic LX100

17. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    WELL, hold the presses. "She who must be obeyed" looked at pics with me last night. My old Minox 35 is too small and a Panasonic point and shoot is too big. Good grief, I am working on a second ulcer.

I looked at several suggestions and the Sony RX100 does look sweet. At this point, anything I get will actually be for ME. When she turns up her nose, I will have a pocket camera. Maybe, I will get her a cat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    xz-2, Lx100 or EPM2

19. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Perhaps what you are looking for is an iPhone and one of those industrial grade cases :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Hmmmmmm.