Camera for 6yo

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ahuyevshi, May 30, 2013.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm hoping some of you that shoot full auto/jpg (not that there is anything wrong with that) can lead me in the right direction between either the EPM1 and the GX1?

They are both in the 300 or so range with a kit lens which pretty much hit's the budget we set aside to get her a first real camera..

4477968008_a2f7123871_b.

4882249426_166cfba0ab_b.

476263_10151864955074692_1605456018_o.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Of those two cameras, definitely the E-pm1 for a youngster - the layout is minimal, the menu is more visually driven. Plus, you can get her the purple one which would probably go great with that last outfit, hahaha! Seriously though, no question e-pm1, I think the GX1 would be a bit too serious a tool. Also, in body stabilization is going to help out as well.

this will do nicely (and cameta is totally reputable, lots of discussion about them here at the forum, they sell a lot of refurbished olympus cameras and include a full year warranty, 90 days Olympus and the remainder in-house):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-PEN-E-PM1-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Pink-12-3MP-EPM1-/360648980097?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item53f85ab681

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Might I suggest the Pentax Q? Tiny yet full-featured. Good selection of filters to play with. You can even program 4 of them for quick access on the front dial.

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    If you can get the GX1 for the same price as the EPM1 then go for the Panasonic for the better sensor, touch screen and built in flash.

In the UK the GX1 is about £110 ($165) more than Olympus which is why we bought EPL-3's for our son and daughter as these were still a much lower cost than the GX1.

5. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    bought my 10yo g3...so she can also experience looking through the evf...

bought myself nikon j1...so i can shoot like a tourist...

i would go for the nikon v1 kit or j1 twin lens kit <300 off ebay...very fast and accurate af and exposure...small and light overall...

but if it has to be m43...probably epm1

6. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I looked at the Q wasn't crazy about it.. figure if it will grow with her we can share glass

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks all.. I'm sort of favoring the GX1 because of the flash/touchscreen as well and with these crazy deals lately I can find one fairly cheap before her birthday in August. 14-42 kit should be fine for her, so she can get the basics down. Also need to get her a computer before she starts school, but thinking in the meantime camera adapter for the ipad.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For a youngster, I suggest one of those waterproof, shockproof, point 'n shoot puppies. Plenty of time for the child to learn about settings ... but a camera that can take a licking and keep on ticking is important now. Every camera manufacturer makes a couple, Oly's are in a series named "Tough".

Hey, I can see UC Berkeley from your balcony!

Gary

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's the funnest camera I've used in quite a while, and I'd imagine that FQ (Fun Quotient) is more important than IQ to a six year old. Toy lenses are cheap as well, so no heartache if they are dropped or broken. Original Q is magnesium-bodied so it will like withstand drops better than other cameras mentioned.

Just my $.02, non-refundable.

10. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    For a 6 year old I think you'd want you'd want to go with a camera that as a touch screen. Kids that age very naturally interact with technology that way.

Besides the GX1 you might also consider a GF5. It has a very nice touch screen, and built in flash. The down side is no ability to add a viewfinder if you want to.

B&H has a GF5 kit for $329:
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DMC-GF5KK

The GF5 also has a nice grip compared to he E-PM1 which makes it less likely to slip out of her hands, and is a bit lighter than the GX1.

11. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA

Interesting... I'll go see if I can find one in the 300 range.. Yeah IQ really isn't a concern for either of us at this point..

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeap That would be UC Berkeley ;) We have a Pentax WG2 but I want to get her thinking about focal points and framing and learning how to use light. The Pentax is just a point and shoot, that doesn't allow for much creativity

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I know you want her to get a jump on life as a photographer. But that WG2 is perfect for her.

14. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    now that you guys made me think about it maybe we'll try that this weekend.

15. davidolarte

davidolarte Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2013
    Bogot√°, Colombia
    Juan Olarte
    [​IMG]

This was my first digital camera :3

16. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    This technically isn't her first, her first was an SD100 (see image2) on her 3rd birthday, that didn't last very long so trying again for her 6th ;)

And this was mine, serial cable to transfer images from the built in 8mb(I think) memory

5291111163_aabe90b49f.

17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I recently took my six year old(Gabe) and ten year old(Jake) on a shoot. I had a GF3, GX1, and G5. A big part of the fun for them was switching cameras. By the end of the day, Gabe had the GX1, and Jake the G5, and I was stuck with the GF3.:smile:

I think it had a lot to do with the grips and comfort. So if you go with the PM1, I'd add a flipbac or Franiec.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, (that was what I was suggesting, a waterproof, shockproof point and shoot).

Gary

19. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  20. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    You might look into Sams Wholesale Club. The store in my area put the Epm1 on clearance. It was tough passing on the deal.

You might also look into KEH for their deals.