1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera fairs ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I guess not many left these days but nothng like " hands-on" with gear. I went to Wolverhampton in 2010. Overwhelmed but wonderful to try stuff out. Hoping to get to Boston Spa Fair at the village Hall near Wetherby end of March. Nice atmosphere. Maybe 20 dealers but good. Does anyone do fairs these days ??

2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I went to one last month in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. It was my first camera fair for about 20 years.

There was a lot of old 35mm junk - and I mean junk because of its poor condition - some decent Nikon AF gear and some reasonably good medium format film gear, plus a couple of stalls selling older Leica kit at high prices. Very little digital and no m4/3, only one 4/3 DSLR and a PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8 lens at GBP 375.00 which was a fair price but nothing exceptional.

The best bit was the bacon butty for breakfast but even that was nothing exceptional. Frankly, it was a waste of a morning. The biggest camera fair is at Wolverhampton Racecourse and I will try that later this year, but I doubt I will rush back to Beaconsfield next time it's on.

Apart from Boston Spa, there is another well known fair in Kent near the M25. There used to be an annual event at the Horticultural Halls in Westminster. Where are you located?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's an annual one here, which I can never make. :( They need to be held more frequently...

4. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Im in northern England .....

5. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

OK, so Kent is not much use, and Westminster might not be either, unless you have other reasons for visiting London. Here's some info on the one in Westminster:
    Photographica Fair

There is better news, though. A Google search came up with mentions of camera fairs at Kendal (twice a year in March and November), Preston and even Tynemouth Station Market this Saturday and next!
    ::Camera Fayre - High quality classic cameras at reasonable prices ::
    classic photographics | Classic Photographics

However, the emphasis seems to be more on older "collectable" equipment rather than anything digital, let alone m4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks Colin ! The London one looks good- I may plan a long weekend break for May around that. I go to Tynemouth Market regularly and know the guy who has the stall- he will also be at Boston Spa end of March. I love the buzz of fairs...a lot of fun ..as long as you stick to a budget !

• Like Like x 1