1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

camera fails on computer connection

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BSH, Oct 17, 2014.

1. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    There is one thing I hate, HATE about my EP3, which I otherwise love. I don't have a USB card reader. I don't have a modern computer (PowerMac G4). The only way I can get images off the camera is direct USB connection between the Mac and the camera. While accessing files on the camera, the connection randomly fails. While viewing images, or copying. If I keep copy jobs to under 100MB per batch (a minor nuisance), it doesn't happen as often. But I typically have to unplug the USB cable and reset the connection a half-dozen times in any given session of taking images off the camera to the computer. I can't download Olympus Viewer 3, because it won't run on my old Mac. There's probably a card reader I could buy that might work, although last time I bought a card reader, it worked on my wife's PC but not my Mac, and money's tight right now anyway.

I don't know if anybody has any suggestions for fixes or workarounds, but I wanted to vent, because this process makes me mad. Love the camera, but getting images off of it is almost more trouble than it's worth. :mad: But, having suffered enough this week, I'll post something in the autumn colors thread. :rolleyes:

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Have you tired connecting your camera to a more "contemporary" computer to see if it works better?

3. SeanKelleher

SeanKelleher Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Melbourne
    Sean Kelleher
    How are you copying the files?

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Could be a bad usb cable.

5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I just had a look on Amazon and you can get a card reader for less than $5.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    considering the fact that a power mac G4 could be anything from 10-15 years old, runs USB 1.1 and maybe the USB contacts could be dirty/corroded due to age, it difficult to offer you a solution that doesn't involve expenditure beyond trying both USB sockets and see if the problem is socket specific. USB 1 was really slow... way much more than USB 2. Maybe you can find on ebay/ local computer faire a suitable PCI expansion card to take you up to USB 2

I haven't used the direct camera to computer connection since 2000... never seemed a good solution to me as if you had been shooting all day the camera batteries would be low and the the act of transferring would drain the battery rapidly... I quickly bought a card reader

You could try transferring the photos to your wives computer... then to a USB stick and then to your computer... or if you have a friend you could down load and have them email the images

none are ideal solutions.. and really difficult to resolve.. G4 is sadly really old technology... I know I bought one... it scares me how far the tech has advanced.

all the best

K

7. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Thanks for the replies. I have tried all the USB ports. The cable is the one that came with the camera. I copy the files by drag and drop (what else is there? :wink: ) I do wish I could upgrade to a Mac Mini - there's so much software that won't run on the old PowerPC processors. I just don't have spare cash right now.

Actually, the suggestion about the PCI USB expansion card... I have one of those in my machine, and maybe that's where the problem is. I'll try connecting to the factory USB port, and see if that works better. And maybe for Christmas I'll find a card reader that will support my machine - hey, it's only 12 years old, what's the problem? :smile:

8. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    A better way to copy would be Image Capture which comes with your Mac.... Also, every card reader ever made should be compatible with your mac. There is absolutely nothing special about card readers. The only trouble will be if you have an old SD reader and try to use a newer SDHC or SDXC card in it.

9. SeanKelleher

SeanKelleher Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Melbourne
    Sean Kelleher
    Something that imports the photos may well do better. I've had issues with drag and dropping from iPhones and iPads onto PCs. Using "import photos" works fine. Phones and cameras might look like just another storage device but they aren't.