Camera Conundrum

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ijm5012, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm looking to upgrade from my current cameras (two Panasonic G6's), but don't know what I want to do.

I just rented a GH3 for a couple days, and really liked the ergonomics of the GH3 (it fit very well in my hand). I don't know if I should get a lightly used GH3 and GM1 (great for my small prime lenses), or just get a lightly used GH4. Advantages of the GH4 over the GH3/GM1 are:
    - DFD Focus (I tested the focus tracking of the GH3, and was pretty happy with how it performed with cars going about 40mph, but I like shooting motorsport events and I don't know how it would do where the cars are going much faster)
    - ISO 100 vs ISO 125 (I don't think the extra 1/3 stop would matter all that much)
    - Auto ISO in M mode
    - 1/8000 shutter vs 1/4000
    - 7 FPS burst shooting with live view vs 4 FPS
    - 1/250 flash sync vs 1/160
    - Higher resolution rear screen and EVF
    - Focus Peaking
    - ISO 3200 in silent mode vs ISO 1600

Looking at the financials, I could get the GH3/GM1 for about $1000, where a GH4 would cost me about $1350-1400. The advantages of the GH3/GM1 are that I still am able to have two cameras (one that works very well with the small primes I have), and it is obviously cheaper. The advantages of the GH4 (that I would use), are the higher burst rate, higher resolution EVF, focus peaking, and higher ISO limits in silent mode.

I'd be interested to hear some other people's thoughts on this, they're very much appreciated.

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    It seems like your analysis is done. Go with the one you and your budget like.
  3. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

Buy the GH4 and keep one G6.

By the way, why are you leaving the G6s behind?
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Get the GH4

Personally I have a gh1 and a gf1 and the number of times I wish for the compactness of the GF is few. However as they are both worth essentially nothing and share batteries I keep them both.

From what y've said the advantages of the GH4 are what is really seeming to attract you.

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Unless video is important to you, what would be the attraction of moving from the G6 to the GH3?

If you're serious about motorsports photography, I think you would be better served taking that $1,400 and buying a APS-C sensor DSLR and a 75-300 zoom. I'm mostly transitioned over to the m43 system, but I'm hanging on to my Canon 40D and 100-400 zoom for the occasional motorsports and wildlife shoots.
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't want to deal with two systems, and I like the m43 system.

As for why I like the GH3/4, it has even better ergonomics than the G6 and a superior button layout, and a better sensor as well.
  7. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I had a problem with pressing the G6's buttons by mistake. After some experiments, I fixed the problem with a bit of Sugru rubber compound around the buttons that were likely to be pressed by mistake.

I have had no problems with accidental button presses since I applied the Sugru rubber.

I also added a pad on the side of the right hand grip to make the curvature of the grip even larger. My hands are more comfortable with this arrangement.